old cragars and a 72 swinger

-

black_bishop

Reaction score
hey all, bought an old set of cragars at the chrysler classic a couple months ago. they are 15x7 and appear to have both 5x4 and 5x4.5 bolt patterns(unilug i guess). i measured them at 3 1/2 bs. what size tires will i be able to use on my 72 swinger. i will be using the stock spring location with xhd springs and a set of kyb shocks, will also be installing 73+ disc brakes and at some point a narrowed rear(either 8 3/4 or ford 9).eventually. i was thinking of using 225/70-15 on the front and 255/70-15 on the back. can i use a 60 series tire with no mods? let me know what you think of the rims btw, they havent been cleaned but are alluminum.

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

What is the off set? Is the off set positive or negitive? If they have a lot of positive off set they will hit the outer fender on a Dart. Mabby be able to get a 225 in there. Just need to brake out the old tap and take a few mesurments.

Well ummm?

Lets say you got an 8 inch rim if the center of the rime, the part with the holes for the studs was right in the middle 4 inches from ether side then you would have 0 off set. Now lets say it is an 1 3/8 away from the center line of the rim you would have that much off set.

Then there is negitive and positive off set.

If it is off set to the front of the rim it is negitive off set

If it is off set to the rear of the rim it is positive off set.

Well lets see. If you have a 7 inch rim with a 3 1/2 BS that would mean there is 3 1/2 inches on the other side as well.

3 1/2 + 3 1/3 = 7 so the off set would be 0.

sorry to bring back a dead thread, but would i be able to run 215/270 or 215/65's on these with 3.5 bs and zero offset

you can always mock it up with some old bald tires of different sizes to find what works

i have a 74 dart and have 4" bs wheels, the tire i tried on the front was a 225/70/15 , it would rub the outer fender down on the front edge when turning full lock , the sharp edge was tearing up the tread. i went and got 215/65 / and they fit fine. actually a larger bs is what i need as the front tires stick out too far to suit me.

they are 15x7 and appear to have both 5x4 and 5x4.5 bolt patterns(unilug i guess).

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

Before you go through a lot of trouble trying to find the correct tire size, these are not 4" bolt cir unless they have been modified. They never made a unilug with the 4" bolt cir.

I had a set of these and if they are unilug, they are 4 1/2" and 4 3/4 unilug so they will not fit the 4" you currently have, they will work after you convert to the big bolt cir though.

old used tires are not hard to come by any tire shop will have a pile of them out back. you only need one to mock up and check for clearance your not going to drive on it so it can be bald and or dry rotted, its a lot cheaper than finding out your tire rim combo doesn't fit after spending $100+ on new ones

Bolt the rim on and use a straight edge against the outside and check clearance both sides to fender and to springs in back. this will tell you the section width that will fit when the short side is doubled and added together with rim width. then search bfgs site for section width and find which tires are 1 inch narrower than your measurement and this will give you a half inch clearance from the fender well or spring in rear.

yeah, trouble is i have no old tires laying around
Hello Black Bishop, I'm going through a tire/rim issue myself. I have just converted to BBP axles in the back and removed my Kelsey Hayes SBB discs up front and replaced the with a Wilwood setup (it looks like it spaced my front wheel out about an extra inch) . I went to Summit and bought a tool that will simulate any offset, backspacing and tire combination. It's call "Percy's wheel tool". I'll let you know how it works out. I'm putting 15" BFG's all the way around. Summit just came out with a nice wheel that looks a lot like a American Torque Thrust D. It's all aluminum and it's got a Chrome finish. The best thing is that it's only $149.00 per wheel. The Americans were $249.00 a wheel. Like I said I'll let you know how well the measurement tool works out. Oh by the way it costs about $69.00.

sorry to bring back a dead thread, but would i be able to run 215/270 or 215/65's on these with 3.5 bs and zero offset

As for the rear, I couldnt see how you could possibly have problems with such mild tire sizes and only 7 inch rims with 0 offset. 70 profiles may potentially pose a slight problem with rubbing at the front.

-
Back