Old crappy tint removal - need help!

-

1965cudav8

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

My barracuda was a FL car for a long time, so of course someone had to tint the windows with a crappy tint. Clearly someone tried to remove it with a razorblade (I found 27 different blades in the car when I ripped out the carpet and seats) but they gave up and now all the glass is very unsightly with large tape-like marks all over the place. I tried scrubbing them with Goo-Gone, but nothing happened. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

D

Go to NAPA and get their glass cleaner WITH amonia, works great. Spray it on, let it sit for a few, and scrape with a razor blade. Keep it wet as you work, once you scrape off the majority with a blade you can use a rag and glass cleaner to get the rest off.

Another route is to wet the inside of the window down with water, put a piece of black plastic against it and park it in the sun for a couple of hours. Whatever tint you have left on should peel off easily and the glue will mostly be mush that will easily scrape off.

I used to do window tint for several years when i was younger. Used just soapy water and a nice razor blade. It must be stainless. We found that out the hard way doing tint. Cheap blades that are not stainless will scratch the windows if your not careful.
Mark

As stated above, amonia will remove the glue or adhesive the best.

Hey guys, ammonia worked great, now i just need to spend alot of time lying in the trunk and scraping! Thanks again. I will post some pics in my build thread.

D

-
Back