Old gas in '78 Dodge van

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, went up to Denver today with a friend of mine to check out an old 318 Dodge van. We tried to get it started but the owner said it sat for around 3 years so the gas is in pretty bad shape; it would start and run for a couple seconds if we poured gas down the carb but the float bowls would not fill up. We came back and got a new fuel pump which we're going to put in tomorrow when we go back but I was just wondering if there's anything else we should do to make sure it will stay running. I'm thinking I'm going to disconnect the fuel line and try to let it drain the tank a little (there's some fresh gas in the tank) but I don't know if that will be enough.

Me i woul not use the gas tank until it's dropped and cleaned out.I would put gas in gas can on the ground.Run a line from can to fuel pump and start her up also change filter on carb also.

Before you change out the pump it might be a good idea to pull the line off at the carb just to be sure it isn't pumping. I changed the pump on a /6 thinking it was bad but it still wouldn't fill the carb bowl. The problem was the needle was stuck and wouldn't let gas into the carb. :angry7:
I would think it should run on 3 year old gas but probably not too well. I would put a clear filter on it so I could see what was coming through. The gas we have now with alcohol in it will cut loose any junk in the tank and lines.
Dallas

I did just that, I removed the pump-to-carb line and made sure there wasn't anything clogging it. I even tried cranking the engine for a while with the carb line taken off and nothing would come out of the pump. I did smell the gas that was in the line and it smelled weird like paint thinner or something. Hopefully it won't be too bad, this thing is a bargain ($550!!) and already has dual exhaust, new battery, new tires, new shocks/springs and the carb is a newer (and bigger) Holley 2-bbl. instead of an old BBD.

Well, as is usually the case I was wrong and the tank is blocked up (I'm guessing it's the sock/pickup tube, and the gas smelled pretty bad, almost like lighter fluid mixed with vinegar). We ended up not having to replace the fuel pump but I might want to try something else because getting it towed is pretty much out of the question....

Would it be overly dangerous if we hooked up a long rubber fuel line to the inlet of the fuel pump and then ran it from a can of gas inside? I was thinking that as long as we closed the doghouse up as much as possible and drove the whole way with the windows cranked down it might be feasible to get it home on its own power. It runs fine otherwise (no misfiring, stumbling, etc. ) and would hate to have to spend more than what it's worth to have it towed some 60-odd miles.

I've done crazier things in the past! :-D You don't happen to know anyone with one of those portable boat tanks? Might be a little safer than just using a can.
Dallas

If it wasn't for my buddy's reluctance with this stuff I would have driven it back by now. But I wasn't going to be a jerk so I just let him make what he thought was the best decision. I'll talk to him about it some more and hopefully we can give it another shot tomorrow.

-
Back