Old greasy undercoating?

-

Duster2022!

Reaction score
I have what looks like old greasy undercoating on the underside of my Duster. It’s not hard to the touch but like old grease.
I am wanting to clean it all off and undercoat myself since it’s 49 years old. I don’t have a rotisserie but have the body on blocks so I can get under it. Anyone know what will eat or dissolve this greasy mess?

If it's greasy try paint thinner. (Aka mineral spirits)

The OEM undercoat smells and feels like roof tar. I removed some with heat and a plastic scraper

If it gets trans fluid on it, it might become oily?

Just today I removed the old foam tape from under the windshield trim on my 67 dart convert.

The foam had turned to goo.

I used a plastic scraper to get the bulk of it off, then paint thinner. Worked well.

Good luck

Grab a propane torch or heat gun and a scraper and go to town. Work on small sections at a time. Then clean up the remnants with goof-off or some solvent and steel wool/rags.

I had both hard dry undercoating and some of the soft greasy stuff. I used a needle scaler on all of it. It was a tiring, filthy, noisy, time-consuming job but in the end I got-r-dun. I went over everything after the scaler with a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and steel wool, then wiped up the mess with paper towels. A coat of Rustoleum brush-on red primer and then their rattle-can undercoating made it look like new.

I had both hard dry undercoating and some of the soft greasy stuff. I used a needle scaler on all of it. It was a tiring, filthy, noisy, time-consuming job but in the end I got-r-dun. I went over everything after the scaler with a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and steel wool, then wiped up the mess with paper towels. A coat of Rustoleum brush-on red primer and then their rattle-can undercoating made it look like new.
Thanks

won't the soft stuff that has been subject to oil and AT fluid just come off with a flexible metal scraper?

Just my 2 cents.

Use a plastic scraper when ever posable as the OEM paint / primer is typically as new under the under coat.

I used a heat gun and scraper on my 63 Dart when I had it. It had both types of undercoating but that got both off pretty easily. It was slow, but not difficult. I highly recommend against any type of open flame, even if all of the fuel system has been removed. I've seen the undercoating itself catch fire and when it does it really gets going.

Not sure of the validity, but I've read that undercoating on some of these old cars may contain asbestos, so it may be a good idea to wear some type of respirator. Either way, it's probably not a good idea to be breathing that junk in.

The greasy stuff should come off with a scraper. I used a propane torch to soften the rest. Scraped off easily. Cleanup from there.

-
Back