Old michigan members

-
Reaction score
I was talking to my brother in florida and were remembering some times of our youth. One of the things or places was Teds drive in at woodward Ave and square lake Rd, Bloomfield hills mich. This was early 60's .The cruisin, racing and
Sometimes drinking,(but not me, I wasn't 21 yet) LOL!!!
What a great place and time to grow up! REMEMBER ??:burnout:

MOE

Well, since we lived only 1 mile from Telegraph in our youth, we used to pile in our Dad's 70 Roadrunner 440 6pak convertible and head over there alot. I remember he had a friend named Bob who owned a 70 Hemi GTX, and when Bob came by they would go out to race. The 6pak car was a 4 speed and Dad never lost to Bob, which made him quite mad. He would disappear for a week or so then come back, having done something to his car that he was sure would beat the Roadrunner, but he never could. Our Dad had some connection to Fox Hills Chrysler-Plymouth which had a big racing sponsorship, and when he ordered the Roadrunner, they dyno tested 5 different motors and installed the strongest one in Dad's car. I know that car was fast, and I also know that my brother still has the timeslips to prove it. Somewhere in the mid 12's, bone stock!!! Dad would always raise the torsion bars up real high so the nose of the car was in the air for better weight transfer when he went out to Milan or Martin, and came home with his fair share of wins. Maybe my bro will post up those time slips and the picture of the car with all the trophies in front of it!!! Yea, I remember!!! Geof

I lived at 7 1/2 mile just west of Woodward (behind the cemetaries) for 18 years. I remember the first three Dream Cruises where you could do burnouts and the cops wouldn't bother you. Damn that was a blast!!!

LOL memory lane!!! used to go to the Gratiot drive in...it had a huge waterfall that changed colors on the back of the screen ( very cool for back then)....caught the movie and as everyone was leaving all the hot cars would gather off to the side of the exit and make plans to head out to either Woodward or Telegraph....back then north of Birmingham, Woodward was a bone straight 15 miles of landing strip type road that was virtually NEVER policed....... Telegraph was the same from Monroe to Bloomfield hills ...also never policed.......I attended and participated in hundreds of races, holeshots and we never drank a single beer....ever. it was not uncommon for there to be 200 -300 hot cars out there on Fri & Sat nights on either highway!! you could get a challenge or a race anytime you wanted......and there were more girls out there than could fill the Pontiac silverdome 2 times over!! damn those were some good times!!! catchin a movie, drag racing ...makin out, drag racing an occasional fight, drag racing all the way until MIDNIGHT!!! WOW!!! listening to the Wolfman on XERF( "ZERF")....every time I see the movie american graffitti...it takes me back...smokin camels...havin a breath freshener called "sen sen" lil black licorice flavored squares...blackjack gum.....rollin your "****" up in your t sleeve....converse black high toppers...rolled up jeans...leather jackets.... damn
OH YA I REMEMBER Sunday meant real home made pancakes for breakfast ( no mix junk) real toll house choc chips at lunch or dinner & Sun eve watchin Disney..... like it was yesterday I remember...WHO could forget?

Man you guyz are old . . . I do not remember cruisin' with my 70 Dart 340 south Telegraph from Daly's Drive-in at Oxford then loop up to Grand River (fall 1969 through spring 1971). On Grand River near 7 mile was a drive-in, I believe Gigers, which started the return loop. We also would loop the 4 lane Michigan Ave into Dearborn and back. Got pulled over southbound Telegraph @ Plymouth Rd. because I was "suspicious" . . . . (they confiscated my 6 pack brew and made me pour it all out on the curb). I also got caught by "the man" south of Ecorse Rd. after racing a 1969 Cuda. That cost me two tickets . . . "excessive noise with the mufflers" and "excessive noise with the tires" believe it or not. It was a fun time. Rog

Hey Cuda do you remember a guy went by the name (STORK) ? He had a 63 or 64
Ply?? Seems I remember he was the one to beat LOL
I went into the service June of 64, never went back except to visit family
MOE

Boy, and I thought I was old.....Just kidding guys! I didn't get my license until '80, but fondly remember crusing Telegraph, Hines Park, M-59 and Woodward back then. Also lived out in Golden CO in the mid 80's and cruised Colfax Ave. out there (just like Telegraph/Woodward with the Michigan turn-arounds). Just like some of you posted above, never ever drank and cruised. Just didn't need to!! Too much fun checking out the girls, racing and cruising! Those were the days!!

The alcohol I mentioned wasn't opened . . . was still in it's carton and in a brown paper bag. We had no intention on drinking it out there . . . it was for later in the evening! They made us open them all and pour 'em out! Rog

Anybody remember Eliza Howell Park back in the 80's. Off Telegraph and 5 mile. Place used to be pack with white bikers in front of the park with their pit bulls hanging from the old tries swinging on the tree branches. Think it was summer of 1988 the place was pack with stoners everyday, then the place got raided by the police, over 100 arrest and cars towed away. I lucked out and was not there that evening.

Some of the bikers were really cool--you could never trust them, heck no but one of them had a car--bike, half and half The . back of a 70's corvette from the front seat on back and up front had one wheel from a motorcycle. Police were cool for a while--till the 90's came. Then everything changed, aids happen, crack was gone.

I think the park just sit empty now most days, the road is block off, just going to waste. Glad I live 15 miles to the northwest. Detroit was OK to visit till the crackdowns happen.

I got let off by Redford police one night in the 80's. Did a 20 mph to 60 mph wot run, was going for 70 till I seen the cop weaving up through traffic. Was around 11 pm and all 4 lanes had a few folks getting on it, my car--and my driving got me to the head of the pack but then the flashers came on. Pulled over, cop goes, what were you doing, .. showing off ? I go, yeah, cop goes, do your showing off some place else and hands back my license to me without even calling it in, ah those were the days--then drug testing happen ! Everything freaken changed ! No more cool cops it seemed

Yup, Eliza Howell Park, closed up after the crack started happening. Haven't been around there in years. I used to work @ Olsen Olds on Grand River. Used to hang there @ lunch time.
Rog, cops just aren't the same anymore, zero tolerance and such. I can't remember how many times they made us pour out all of our beers, and then just let us go!

-
Back