Old Question from and Old Mopar Guy

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
I bought my 68 Barracuda back in 1984 (non-running) and am just now getting to the restoration point. It is a B-3 (that will change) notch-back that had a slant six/auto transmission drive train. I plan to buy and put a 360 in and while on the Schumacher website checking out the parts needed for the swap, I noticed their warning that the small drum brakes must be changed to a disc system to handle the increased power. So, are these the changes I will have to make:

1. Engine
2. Engine swap hardware
3. Transmission
4. New drive shaft
5. New rear and axles
6. front disc brakes. Rear?
7. Radiator

This car is for fun not restoration so I don't care about non-stock parts.
Does anyone have recommendations on who I should go to for the engine (Kansas City area), what type of transmission (column shifted auto) disc brake swap, and rear end (I am leaning toward a .355 sure grip ratio). Sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times, I have been out of the hobby for so long.

Yup, sounds like you are on the right path. Motor mounts, I think the tranny mounts will work, you will need a trans from a V8 (904 or 727), driveshaft will need to be changed or a good shop can adjust the length for you or make a new one. Radiator upgrade is a must.

8 3/4 rear end from an a-body is the best choice but they are hard to find and expensive. You could use an 8 1/4 f-body (Volare/Aspen) rear or get a 8 3/4 from another car, then have the ends cut down to the right width for your car, you can then buy axles for an abody or get new ones with the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.

Best front brake upgrade is get a set of disc brakes from a 73-76 a-body with discs, they will bolt in nice and you will have the better 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern, this is plenty to stop your car. (Upper control arms, spindles, calipers, lower arms) Also, rear brakes from the above mention axles will work fine.

You may want to get a set of V8 or heavy duty torsion bars, it will handle way better than the slant six ones. You may find that some shifter linkages are different as well but that stuff is easy to find.

Don't forget fatter rear tires for that 360! Good luck!

Yup, sounds like you are on the right path. Motor mounts, I think the tranny mounts will work, you will need a trans from a V8 (904 or 727), driveshaft will need to be changed or a good shop can adjust the length for you or make a new one. Radiator upgrade is a must.

8 3/4 rear end from an a-body is the best choice but they are hard to find and expensive. You could use an 8 1/4 f-body (Volare/Aspen) rear or get a 8 3/4 from another car, then have the ends cut down to the right width for your car, you can then buy axles for an abody or get new ones with the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.

Best front brake upgrade is get a set of disc brakes from a 73-76 a-body with discs, they will bolt in nice and you will have the better 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern, this is plenty to stop your car. (Upper control arms, spindles, calipers, lower arms) Also, rear brakes from the above mention axles will work fine.

You may want to get a set of V8 or heavy duty torsion bars, it will handle way better than the slant six ones. You may find that some shifter linkages are different as well but that stuff is easy to find.

Don't forget fatter rear tires for that 360! Good luck!

Thanks for the great response. I have my work cut out for me but your answer will get me started. I also have a 66 Valiant convertible, red, 3 on a tree slant six I plan to restores pretty much stock. My 68 Charger is more shell than car. Believe it or not, my favorite Mopar was owned by an acquaintance and it was a 66 Valiant 2-door with a 340 from a Duster. I had a 66 Valiant 273 4-barrel and he passed me like I was sitting still one day. Are those your cars on that list? Great cars all.

-
Back