older truck question

-
Will a 1990 tailgate fit on a 1980 truck? The beds kinda look the same but I'm not sure.
I'm 90% sure it will. My truck had one on it when ef8340 originally found it
randomkimpicture2010002.jpg

I've got an 84 "dually" tailgate on my 92 so it should. (I liked the 84 lighted tailgate better)

90 gate will physically fit on the 80, but the latches are wrong if I'm remembering right.
LONG time ago. LOL

Geo

Ok thanks guys.

I bought the tailgate and put it on but it seems to be a 1/4" too wide. By "latches" I assume you are talking about the tailgate internals? I don't have the original tailgate so i don't have anything to swap into the 90 tailgate. I could get the catch pins off the 90 truck if that would make any difference.

I think I might shave the handle and create some kind of hidden deadbolt style latch.

Ok thanks guys.

I bought the tailgate and put it on but it seems to be a 1/4" too wide. By "latches" I assume you are talking about the tailgate internals? I don't have the original tailgate so i don't have anything to swap into the 90 tailgate. I could get the catch pins off the 90 truck if that would make any difference.

I think I might shave the handle and create some kind of hidden deadbolt style latch.

Internals. Correct. Not sure about swapping striker bolts. I never put much thought in to it

Wow was the later gate that much cheaper?I guess I never understood the-I got it cheap and then I worked on it for a week thing.

Wow was the later gate that much cheaper?I guess I never understood the-I got it cheap and then I worked on it for a week thing.

It was $50 and I have been looking for quite a while. The only others I have found were starting at $100 for bent and rusty. It is a really nice gate if anybody needs a 90 and has an earlier to trade. Otherwise I'm probably gonna start "hacking" this weekend.

It was $50 and I have been looking for quite a while. The only others I have found were starting at $100 for bent and rusty. It is a really nice gate if anybody needs a 90 and has an earlier to trade. Otherwise I'm probably gonna start "hacking" this weekend.
72-80 use the same gate... 81-93 use the same gate....it will physically fit in the opening but the latches on the sides of the gate are different. the 72-80 have a tab with a rectangle whole in them and the 81-93 use a striker bolt design. its really not a bad swap just cut the rectangle latch tabs from the 80 bed and drill holes in the proper location for the striker bolts to be used with the 81-93 gate. i recommend putting a reinforcement plate with a nut welded to it for the striker bolts.... good luck its really a pretty straight forward swap if you have a grinder and a drill. the welding of the nuts is optional...

Nope don't need a 90-I just deal with 64-84.50 bucks is definitely cheap.I had a guy pull in the yard with a 75 Chevy gate on his so good luck!

-
Back