? on BB & SB Transmissions

-

gtdart

Reaction score
Can a BBtransmission hook up to a 318 Poly. I just pulled my engine yestarday and the transmission that was hooked up to 318 Poly is alot bigger than a small block. Could that be BBTransmission?
I measured my SB transmission and it only about 14 inside and that one measured 15.

Anybody got any answers.

LA small blocks, early Hemis, 5.7/6.1 Hemis, 4.7s, any V6 derivatives and the poly motors all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. There may be some differences in the depth of the crank flange in the early Hemis and poly engines though.

B, RB, and 426 Hemi style engines all share the same bolt pattern and are not interchangeable with the small blocks.

There are both 727 and 904 derivatives for the small block pattern but really only 727 versions for the big blocks.

What you probably have are 727 and 904 versions of the small block transmissions. The 727 is the larger of the two. Wider and longer.

The crank flange on the early hemis and polys was 3/4" farther from the block face to make room for the nuts that were used to attach the flywheel instead of the flange being tapped for the flywheel bolts.

The later polys had the same crank flange as the LA. I have a '65 poly crank in my 340 and it bolted right in. The transmissions in later polys were 727s so this would be why it is bigger that the "smallblock" on you mentiined, but the poly has the LA pattern or really the LA has the poly pattern being the poly was before the LA.

Chuck

The easiest way to tell the difference is that the starter boss is almost even with the input shaft on the big block and it's lower on the small block.

-
Back