On Center feel Borgeson box

-

RAVano

Reaction score
Wondering if High PS pump pressure is the cause of a “loose” on center feel with the Borgeson steering box. I checked all the steering components for play and didn’t find any. The steering pump is a reman’d unit from a 2000 Dodge pick up

Wondering if High PS pump pressure is the cause of a “loose” on center feel with the Borgeson steering box. I checked all the steering components for play and didn’t find any. The steering pump is a reman’d unit from a 2000 Dodge pick up

The amount of boost might have a little bit to do with how the on center spot feels, but the on center spot itself is just a product of a worm and ball steering gear. The power steering boost doesn't change the ratio of the gear, just lessens the amount of effort needed to turn the wheel, so really other than feel it shouldn't affect the size of the spot.

The size of the on center spot can increase with wear on the box, but because of how that design works you can't ever really get rid of it. I assume the Borgeson does have a way to tighten the lash in the gear, have you tried that?

Being a new box, I wouldn’t think that would need to be adjusted. I’ll take a look at that though. Thanks

Being a new box, I wouldn’t think that would need to be adjusted. I’ll take a look at that though. Thanks

I mean, it shouldn’t need to be adjusted if it’s brand new. But that’s doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be adjusted. Never rule out a new part just because it’s new.

I mean, it shouldn’t need to be adjusted if it’s brand new. But that’s doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be adjusted. Never rule out a new part just because it’s new.
I think I got it. The box was about 1/8 turn off center(to the right). I’ll take it for a longer ride tomorrow but it felt much better on the test ride.

-
Back