On I-95 in Virginia for 10 hours

-
I had to drive home from work in that mess yesterday morning it was terrible. I was on 81 not 95 but same difference lol glad you made it unscathed!
Yes.
I just got in Wilmington about an hour ago.
From Manassas, I took 81 and eventually dropped into Richmond.
I wasn't taking any chances near 95.:wtf:
I saw your local Fox News this morning, still jammed up on 95, surprised nobody died out there.
Even some of the cell towers had no power. GPS was all over the place.
Wish I had a good Ole Hagstrom map!

I don't envy him one bit. Glad he got out of there OK. Where I am at (Richmond) is literally between 2 nightmare driving destinations (Norfolk and DC.) How people deal with it everyday is beyond me. I did Courier work in DC when I had my biz and the stories I could tell lol....

JW
Yes, I know what you mean.
These were the side roads on my way to Richmond, just west of you.
It took a few extra hours, but was moving nicely. Trees were iced over, but road was clear.
20220104_115222.jpg

20220104_113653.jpg

Yes, I know what you mean.
These were the side roads on my way to Richmond, just west of you.
It took a few extra hours, but was moving nicely. Trees were iced over, but road was clear.
View attachment 1715847541
View attachment 1715847540

Virginia is tricky. The mountains on one side and water on the other makes for very unpredictable weather patterns. In my life of living here I have seen a predicted dusting turn into a Ice storm with 20" on top of it and a potential Blizzard end up making flurries. Side note the pics look nice and glad you made it through OK....

JW

Just FYI for those not familiar - this area doesn't get much snow any given season and when it does it causes total chaos. Mostly because the temp hovers around freezing even during snowfall. The ice hazards tend to catch experienced snow drivers off guard. And the state govt doesn't commit significant resources to snow removal for major thoroughfares (they're busy destroying the rest of the state).
I agree.
I saw an all out assault northbound on 95 with 7 huge plows. 4 staggered in the 3 travel lanes and 1 on each shoulder. Man that was impressive.
But, southbound at the incline?
Cars, trucks, buses, everything was sideways or stopped.
It all came to a halt at the incline at this exit.
20220103_174601.jpg

Virginia is tricky. The mountains on one side and water on the other makes for very unpredictable weather patterns. In my life of living here I have seen a predicted dusting turn into a Ice storm with 20" on top of it and a potential Blizzard end up making flurries. Side note the pics look nice and glad you made it through OK....

JW
So true.
I was looking at the blue sky to the west as the front just hung out stationary and wreaked havoc.

Yes.
I just got in Wilmington about an hour ago.
From Manassas, I took 81 and eventually dropped into Richmond.
I wasn't taking any chances near 95.:wtf:
I saw your local Fox News this morning, still jammed up on 95, surprised nobody died out there.
Even some of the cell towers had no power. GPS was all over the place.
Wish I had a good Ole Hagstrom map!

My brother who lives in Tazewell was leaving Northern Va. some years back and got caught in an Icestorm. He was stranded for 12 hours or so. Minimal clothes but actually had a Cooler with some food in it. Just when you think life is figured out Mother nature reminds us who's in charge....

JW

Wow! That is a very cool 1st pic. The rest "nacho much". Glad you're safe Joe, that looks horrendous.
You guys up north are no strangers to these storms.
I noticed the only tractor trailer that was not slippin and sliding, ck out his logo. Lol
29086.jpeg

Just FYI for those not familiar - this area doesn't get much snow any given season and when it does it causes total chaos. Mostly because the temp hovers around freezing even during snowfall. The ice hazards tend to catch experienced snow drivers off guard. And the state govt doesn't commit significant resources to snow removal for major thoroughfares (they're busy destroying the rest of the state).
I did happen to notice that Younkin doesn't take over until January 15th.
I guess the outgoing Governor was enjoying freedom in Florida. Lol

The outgoing governor has taken every opportunity to say FU to everyone on his way out the door.

Glad to hear you made it out. Buddy of mine is just now leaving to go home to Nova through it.

Dang glad you got outta that, that is stressful unless you're prepared. over in Washington we got a new 20 year high for snow 240 inches on Snoqualmie pass.
But that's from yesterday & it should still snow up til March up there. 3000 feet. We have 11 inches in the driveway from 2 days ago overnight & it's dumping more now til Thursday night in Yakima WA

You can’t tell me that all of 95 being gridlocked is more economical than shoveling and salting the roads.
As much havoc as snow causes around here, considering people cant drive here regardless, Im secretly glad they dont salt the roads. I am not sure whats in the de-icing stuff they put down before expected freezing, but as a driver of old junk......its not rusted old junk. I do agree that fiscally it can hurt locations if snow is a regular thing. Here its not, and if you are brave (or stupid) enough to drive on these hills without a properly equipped vehicle and you eat it.....well, that would be another decision you have to deal with. That said, its been quite miserable on the roads, now that the temp is high enough, theres flooding. great. Feel a little bad for those that have to commute.

As much havoc as snow causes around here, considering people cant drive here regardless, Im secretly glad they dont salt the roads. I am not sure whats in the de-icing stuff they put down before expected freezing, but as a driver of old junk......its not rusted old junk. I do agree that fiscally it can hurt locations if snow is a regular thing. Here its not, and if you are brave (or stupid) enough to drive on these hills without a properly equipped vehicle and you eat it.....well, that would be another decision you have to deal with. That said, its been quite miserable on the roads, now that the temp is high enough, theres flooding. great. Feel a little bad for those that have to commute.
I’m from northern IL and some of my buddies back there campaign to get salt off the roads for those exact reasons.

I do know they put down a "Brine" liquid.
Probably the worst thing to oxidize metal.

I think its a calcium or magnesium chloride.
either way I give a good spray underneath while washing during these months. Have had one rust spot on the 91, but who knows where that thing has been in its life.

drive reckless, take chances! just kidding......stay safe now.

-
Back