One day and already causing problems

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
So my girlfriend got a 68 dart gts model for us to build for our two year anniversary and apparently the kit doesn't like when I want to put the 426 hemi meant for the drag car into the street car...

Attachments

• IMG_3840.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 556
Moderator's : Any chance,of tweaking this post for speed???

She just cares about painting the outside and putting stickers on lol and I am only really concerned about construction :thumbrig:

She just cares about painting the outside and putting stickers on lol and I am only really concerned about construction :thumbrig:
Time to blow it apart and redo it lol . If you put the windows in before body paint its going to suck to paint the body lol

Need to consult Mr. Norms Hemi install manual....hmmmm:burnout:

Well for one thing..if you are only doing the exterior...why put a white engine in it in the first place. Just glue the bonnet shut and be done with it. We modellers refer to that as a "curbside" model. I understand that the revel dart is a awesome kit. I strongly recommend That you tear it down and at least paint the interior as well.

rip it apart, and ship me the engines! I'll send ya tape to tape off all the windows fer it, and you can paint the exterior like a mad couple would... wait.......you already did! WHITE! LMAO

I'm terrible!

The beauty of model building is your xacto knife is your cutoff wheel, your glue is your welder, and sheet styrene is your sheet steel of choice. Kitbashing, and modification is what its about. Engine swaps are easy.I once used a 6.71 blower off a 55 chevy model and fitted it ro a hemi , by filing to fit with sandpaper and gluing it in place.

Used to have a big box of old models and parts. It was my junkyard lol. I would rummage thru it whenever i needed something.

Have fun with it. Models can be great fun.

Matt

Matt,
You would NOT believe the crazy crap I pull off in a hobby shop setting.....I got machines that do just about everything anyone in a full supplied garage can do. I own a custom repair shop for old Lionel trains.....I retired last year due to health, so now the "modeler" is a live and playing instead of "working" and dealing with every single bit of stress that came with being a shop owner....

Matt,
You would NOT believe the crazy crap I pull off in a hobby shop setting.....I got machines that do just about everything anyone in a full supplied garage can do. I own a custom repair shop for old Lionel trains.....I retired last year due to health, so now the "modeler" is a live and playing instead of "working" and dealing with every single bit of stress that came with being a shop owner....

Thats great. I am working to get myself setup for retirement at 62. I plan on tinkering in my shop on real cars and models, or whatever strikes my fancy.

My dads friend restores old lionel and has one hell of a collection of them. I know what you mean about the stresses of working. I am under constant time constraints working on commercial aircraft. When they arent flying they arent making money.

Thats cool that you have stuff to build your models just like the real thing. There was a thread about a guy who machined and soldered together a 1/25th hemicuda model from scratch on here. Even made a working rack and pinion.

I wish i had the time to be able to spend doing stuff like that.

Matt

Yeah.....I'm young tho, (No sure of your age but, I'm going to be 36 in Sept. And sadly, it was a hard choice to make but....

In my shop, Not only did I work on Lionel trains BUT ALL scale models of Trains! Sadly, its a big hobby even more so them model cars, BUT this "modeling" thing is has been a past time hobby of mine damn near my whole life....

I'm just now getting into the real cars due to the truck, I mean I've been into real cars, (I painted old Muscle and antique cars for many years growing up from the time I was about 8 years old caught with sand paper in my hand, wet sanding a '33 Plymouth 3 window Coupe.....I seriously need to get pictures scanned of that car, that I took, way back when....The pics were taken with an old "Concord 110" camera! My first camera BTW.....Also the first car I actually painted, with no help, I was 12.....The owner of the garage that allowed me too, still has the car, but it hasn't been ran in awhile I have heard. BUT, I'm not sure its still the same colors, Purple and yellow....Like a match to the old (I want to say JC Whitney catalog) Its been 23 years ago now so....And the other thing that really got me on that car, as after I painted it, the own Don, put a damned Chevy 350 in it. when he said it was going to be the "Red Ram Hemi" he had sittin' there in the garage that I also painted for in the car....

As far as little parts on that car, he even allowed me to take them home and work on them (I lived 4 houses up the street from the garage so....)

But thats how all of this, began! At that time, I was custom painting the trains from a local hobby shop, my Grandparents helped me with getting everything together to go on since that time, till the close of the shop last year in November....

BUT now, its time I "John" the modeler, enjoy this hobby and not worry what I "have" to get done in the shop, its my Man Cave now! LOL (My wife, however, has her own "Craft area" too......Cuz, I'll admit, To get away from it all, thats where, you'll find me, so she comes up and does her sewing, or art work, crafts with the daughter or whatever while I'm building something.....

My daughter, is nine, and is learning how to spray paint....As she asked, so....I went and got her her own mask and off to the races (so to speak) we go!

But as far as my "Train Collection" goes, I'll have to post pictures.....To much to explain! LOL my layout for the trains is 8x10, in a "U" shape, upside down in my basement that equals about 110 square feet....I got somewheres about 250 displayed locomotives, and 400 freight cars to run at any given time, I have another 1,000 freight cars to build, and something like 300 more locomotives to build.....ALL HO scale...So you might say, with the model cars, I get carried away, so I have to limit myself! (Its one thing to do things, but a whole other to have a real "Collectors" gene, and NO I'm not a hoarder.....Its all displayable and will be as my display cases are nicely done wall hung units that I make, myself! Stuff, I'll NEVER see done? I'm selling off, or trading off for things I know will get done!

Isn't this reply just a short story.....

Well john my friend, you have made it then. I am 45 years old and am hoping to retire at 62.. My youngest is almost 2. So he will be 19 when i stop working, and start my new life as a retiree.

Matt,
ohhh yeah I've made it, I *think* one of our fellow forum friends "Tony" that just went through surgery had the same thing I had done, even tho I think Tony is a bit older then I....I had full blown open heart surgery, last year, a quadruple bypass....I was then, 34....I was told just before I went in by an older friend that at my age, and having the surgery the day before I went in not to make the nickname of the surgery a true one. a "Widow-maker" Well, I didn't but I think the saying goes, open heart under 40 is a "Widow-Maker".....DAMN!

I've worked since I was 14, and have worked for myself since 2003, plus a part time job as the train work wasn't always "full time" so to make up the slow times, I too kon part time work....Worked well actually but, there's the health that tells me maybe I was doing a bit to much, I dunno....

Sadly, it was a difficult choice to make, to have to up and just stop working....regularly. I still do all sorts around the house, (I'm a finish carpenter, and Building Trades, Maintenance guy) by trade....So....I just don't do it day after day and every day on a time clock anymore....Plus I work on my own vehicles....I have help but, yeah...

Good part? No more Chest pain, or well left arm going numb. your arm goes numb, NOT from sleeping on it, go visit your doctor and tell him of it, its the FIRST sign of an on-coming heart attack! I got to it BEFORE I had a heart attack! And that my friend, is what took both my parents in the past 3 years, I lost mom first and just this year, Dad too.....

Anyway, you got me by 10, but thats ok..... Behind a Mopar steering wheel, we're all the same age LOL

-
Back