one last power steering pump question.

-

yellowghost

Reaction score
One last power steering pump question. Finally recieved my rebuilt power steering pump, installed it and was surprised to see it was not only crooked but the the pulley is way farther out than the crankcase pulley.

I switched the brackets at the water pump and now its not crooked but the pulleys are still about 1\4 inch appart.

Is this acceptable? I dont think this is the way its supposed to be but I don't know a a solution. I bought a new pulley. Maybe this pulley is warped or wrong shape. Shaft is flush with the housing when I installed the pulley.

thanks

a quick google search makes me think the pulley is on backwards
the little "nub" needs to be facing outward, it looks to be facing inwards

presuming it is the right pulley that is on there

the brackets were right the first time around
two wrongs don't make a right, I would send her back

x2

I was thinking the same thing before I even saw your post.
The pulley looks like the right one to me, but backwards.

The pulley is on right. It must be the concave type. Anybody have a picture of the convex or spoke type?

Halifaxhops. So you say the nut cast into the pulley should be facing the pump?

nO, THERE IS A ROUND BUSHING TYPE THING WITH A GROVE TO BE ABLE TO GET A PULLER ON IT SHOULD FACE AWAY FROM THE PUMP, SORRY FOR THE CAPS JUST NOTICED!

Thanks halifaxhops. this helps alot. Could I trouble you for a part number on that and a diameter?

Heres a better picture showing the nut. the face of that nut is about 1\8 inch below the outer rim. So this must mean I bought the concave type. I am about 5\8 of a inch farther out in relation to the crank pulley.

I hope this helps, they never really line up. I believe the pulley is on backwards too, reverse it and it should be alot better.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 190
Hmm..ok now I am terribly vexed. Going to have to have to towed to a restoration shop. ..OR could anybody tell me if it would do any harm to the steering box if I connected the lines to the pump, leave the pulley and belts off and just drive it as is..with no power steering?

Just drive it with no belt, it will be fine. I just took a generic photo for you, mine is epoxy painted so it will not be readable.

Halifaxhops is right, i had the same problem and just changed that same pulley and it lined right up......
Good luck with your adjustments.

-
Back