one lifter stuck and two bent push rods

-

PaulRM

Reaction score
This is going to be a "round-a-bout" story that should get to my problem/question.
Just the other day, I was working on my replacement slant six engine for the Dart. The plan was to change manifolds (both intake and exhaust) to accept two barrel and duals...respectively. Now this is an engine with only 44000 miles and so I thought would not need a rebuild. I would also say here that I have not hear it running! Anyway, all was going well when I noted a broken exhaust manifold stud (last one down at #6 cylinder). Try as I may, I could not extract the broken stud. No problem says I; just swap heads with the engine in the car ( I had it trued up and six new exhaust valves installed and never run). So I whipped the head off the replacement engine and noted some rust and crap on the cylinder walls. The tops of a few of the pistons had black gunk on them and some black gunk had run down the cylinder walls. Well, seeings how I was this far along, why not strip the engine, send it out to the engine rebuilders for cleaning and hopefully a honing and put it back together again with new bearings and seals. Here's where the train left the track so to speak. I noted that when I pulled the push rods, two were bent. To compound the problem, one of the lifters won't come out or be tapped down. I've sprayed it with a penetrating oil but to no avail.
Now for the question: What have some of you used to free a stuck lifter?

I would add here that I will be going with plan "B" which involves the original block (not the one that is currently in the car or the one with the stuck lifter) to see if it comes apart readily and what the engine rebuilder thinks about cleaning it up and using.

Sorry for the long-winded story but I did warn you it would be a round-a-bout.

Thanks for all your help.

Anytime I have unsiezed something I usually let it soak in diesel and ATF for a few or more days. I would try that and then slowly turn the engine over with a ratchet so the cam pushes on the lifter, work it back and forth and it should come. Hopefully the lifter is not mushroomed, then you have a problem,

If the block is going to the machine shop anyway just have them take it out.
If you remove the cam sometimes you can push in down thru the bottom.
Isnt feature creep fun(not)
Frank

Thanks guys for your input. The block has gone to the engine rebuilder and they did get the lifter out. Was in yesterday after work and saw it all cleaned-up and ready for a re-bore.

-
Back