One loud ticking after valve adjustment.

-

60jerry

Reaction score
I’m running a ‘63 Dart wagon with stock 225 three on the tree. When cold there is no unusual noise. Using a Stethoscope the valve train sounds just fine. All even and normal sounding. After warming up the ticking begins, intermittent at first and when fully warmed it is constant ticking. Stethoscope of the valve cover the tick is everywhere—no loud spot. I listened to the fuel pump and the sound is there also bit not really a lot, if any, louder than what the valves sound. The tick is everywhere I listen.

My suspicions are two. Possible fouled up top of valve stems so the rocker arms don’t contact straight. I had the rocker arms resurfaced at the machine shop. Didn’t notice any valve stem problems, but I wasn’t actually suspicious of them. Still, could be a problem but the rocker arms weren’t too bad. The second suspicion is the fuel pump. Don’t know what would cause fuel pump noise unless the eccentric is badly worn or the arm is noisy.

Previous owner did overhaul the engine about 40,000 miles back. From our two or three conversations he seemed to be an informed technician. I’ve found nothing else that would make me doubt his skills.

Anybody have any ideas. This is kinda embarrassing when at stop lights listening to that tick.

I have had the stock mopar fuel pumps tick before, sends tick through the whole engine by means of the eccentric on the camshaft and then through the camshaft itself up through the engine.

If you take you take your fuel pump off and wiggle the arm up and down and hear it clicking that is probably it. Fuel pump arm in the pump should be snug and not able to rattle around when it is working property.

I have had the stock mopar fuel pumps tick before, sends tick through the whole engine by means of the eccentric on the camshaft and then through the camshaft itself up through the engine.

If you take you take your fuel pump off and wiggle the arm up and down and hear it clicking that is probably it. Fuel pump arm in the pump should be snug and not able to rattle around when it is working property.
Hi George,
Thanks for the idea. Sounds like the right direction to look. That pivot area in the pump looks like it could become loose. Think I will get another pump and work that pivot over if there is any looseness.
Jerry

Fuel pump is a suspect; recent-production units are cheapened in that they lack the follower spring that keeps the arm in steady contact with the cam. To rule it out completely, unbolt it and pull it away from the warmed-up engine, then start it and see if the ticking's gone. A carefully-chosen older fuel pump (NOS and/or rebuildable type) is the fix.

Also make sure you're not getting misled. A single-cylinder exhaust leak (faulty gasket/cracked manifold) can sound an awful damn lot like a valve tick and drive you nuts trying to find it.

Last edited:
Fuel pump is a suspect; recent-production units are cheapened in that they lack the follower spring that keeps the arm in steady contact with the cam lobe. To rule it out completely, unbolt it and pull it away from the warmed-up engine, then start it and see if the ticking's gone. A carefully-chosen older fuel pump (NOS and/or rebuildable type) is the fix.

Also make sure you're not getting misled. A single-cylinder exhaust leak (faulty gasket/cracked manifold) can sound an awful damn lot like a valve tick and drive you nuts trying to find it.
Thanks Dan. I’m pretty sure it’s the fuel pump. I ordered an airtex brand pump based on reviews of mechanical fuel pumps. When it’s in my hands I think I’ll do that—pull the pump when warm and listen. I have the original pump that previous owner gave me. Rebuild kit is hard to find and expensive. Now that I think about it, the kit price may be close to the airtex. Oh well, old guys do strange things.

I ordered an airtex brand pump based on reviews of mechanical fuel pumps.

Uhhhhh...h'mm. Whose reviews, posted where? 'cuz it mostly doesn't matter whose name is on it any more; they're pretty much all cheap Chinese junk.

My favourite non-rebuildable pumps to use on the Slant motors are the large-body AC units like this one. Never had a problem running 'em with modern gasoline or anything like that.

I have the original pump that previous owner gave me. Rebuild kit is hard to find and expensive.

Who says? The kits come from Then and Now Automotive; see post here. Rebuilding those original Carter M2996S pumps is easy and kinda fun, even!

Last edited:
Uhhhhh...h'mm. Whose reviews, posted where? 'cuz it mostly doesn't matter whose name is on it any more; they're pretty much all cheap Chinese junk.

My favourite non-rebuildable pumps to use on the Slant motors are the large-body AC units like this one. Never had a problem running 'em with modern gasoline or anything like that.

Who says? The kits come from Then and Now Automotive; see post here. Rebuilding those original Carter M2996S pumps is easy and kinda fun, even!
Hey thanks Dan. The pump I have is Carter 29965, although I can’t see the bottom half of the “5” or “S”. Odds are it’s the S. It’s in the box that the replacement came in. Lotta grease but don’t see any damage. Think I’ll rebuild it next month. Glad to have this source.
Jerry

-
Back