one more rookie question...

-

six-seven "S"

Reaction score
I think that I've decided on a Holley Street Avenger 570 for my 273 commando... Any input on an intake manifold that would work well with it? My head hurts reading about bolt angles, single v. dual plane, Edelbrock v. Holley v. weiand.... Anyone out there know what works best and will fit with minimal effort and still gain in performance???

The Edelbrock Performer is a good intake for 273 and 318 engines, Also the old Edelbrock LD4B is good too.

A dual plane is the only way to go on your small engine to keep what little torque you have but just make sure what ever you get it will bolt to your 273 heads as they have a different bolt angle than any other small block head.

The first 2 years *I BELIEVE* are the odd angled and smaller attaching 5/16 intake screw/bolts. That would be 64 & 65 years.

Otherwise 66340sedan is 100%, bang dead on right about this.

Good carb choice.

Thanks again, fellas... I'll probably go with the Performer only because I can get it new and not have to trust someone selling it on ebay, sight unseen. Somebody threw another option at me: Weiand Action Plus? any thoughts before I go drop some cash on the Performer? ....... Not second guessing anyone, believe me I'm in no position, just doing research before I buy... (Next time I'll be asking Cam questions- LOL):read2:

Once again, this site is awesome and I appreciate your input!!

The Action Plus is a decent intake but should be left for the larger port heads of the 340/360. The smaller intake port window of the 318 heads mated up to the larger port window of the intake is a bad mismatch along with the volume of the intakes runners being a bit large for a 318.

Grab the performer.

Ready for the cam question. Please provide the following info about the car and as well as expected/wanted performanceincreases.

Cars weight, trans, tire size and gear ratio. If the gear ratio is to be changed out for a higher one, let us know what the gear ratio will be or about what you want to change it to. The stall converter will possibly be changed out to meet the goal/needs of the combo.

Consider the Performer Grabbed! Thanks for the help, again. As far as the Cam stuff: car weight is approx. 2800 according to factory specs, 727 trans, the previous owner added an 8.75 rear end, but I dont know the gear ratio (if I had to guess, probably 3.23) I'd like 3.55, I'll have to check tire size when I get home... (Pretending to work at the moment)

If your guessing the weight of your 67 it's probably alot more than 2800 even though that's what info may say. I have a 68 FB with a 360, 727, 8-3/4, manual brakes, power steer, buckets, no A/C. All that added up to 3440 which is much heavier than any figure I can find online. I think the notchbacks may be 100-150 lbs. lighter so if yours is a notchback it's in your favor.

Sounds like the listed weight of my /6 Duster. A bit light. I'll go with 3200 empty with the aluminum intake and headers as replacements to the OE iron material. Better to assume heavier than lighter. It would work out in your favor this way right or wrong about the weight.

SO!
You want to end up with 3.55's?
And ;
What size tire?
What type of performance?
In example, pure street, street strip, etc.......The gear ratio is a little dictating on this.
(RPM performance range would be good to know. If you have an idea. No biggie if you don't.)

It is a notchback, pretty much all stock. I just want it set up for street, gonna stick with the stock 14's 7 up front, maybe 8 in back, don't know the exact size off hand... Don't have actual weight on it, like I said just going off the factory specs ( go ahead and add about 220 for me). Still have the cast iron exaust manifold, but headers are coming. Basically, I dont want some POS 289 F*@d smokin me if I start feelin frisky.

-
Back