One thing leads to another

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
And not in a good way, ha ha.

Early last week I put my short block 340 in were my 318 used to be. I thought I put the heads on in the car so its easy on the hoist. All went ok--I thought.

Got the S.B. in but was a 1/2 inch in too far, so the trans mount needed to be loosen so the motor could more up. Went easy. Then I noticed after the trans bell housing was tight the torque converter refused to spin. No it was in all the way, my old forged crank hub was just like .015 too small. Had to remove the block and my shop guy grounded the t.c hub a bit so it go in all the way. I'm renting a hoist too--takes up less room.

So back in the short block goes and the heads are now on and I go to put my exhaust manifold on today. Un un. The darn exhaust refused to move up that 1/2 inch..my exhaust guy welded hangers on the mufflers.

So today I got to go back to the rented shop to get a power hacksaw to cut my 2 1/2 pipes to put a connector in to lengthen the pipes. Saw cut great but now I need a tailpipe expander to slip one side in...and like no dumb auto stores have them anymore and Summit is out of their $19 one and the next one is $40 plus shipping. So Harbor Fright is shipping me one for $23 total.

Before this my motor was delayed two weeks cause one lifter bore was oversize from the factory and another shop had to do the lifter bushing.

I'm asking myself what other unforeseen problem is next.

Btw, my 318 spun the rod bearing end of March!

Dude, believe me, once you fire up that 340 after having a 318 in it you will forget all about the problems you had installing it. As in mash the throttle and go!!!!!!!!!!!

youll get there buddy...i dont think its humanely possible for anyone to have worse luck than me...sounds like a scenario ive been through...lol

sucs to hear that you are having some bad luck, but believe me, firing up your 340 for the first time in the car is literally unforgetable, you will forget everything that went wrong..

Well my friendly rented shop had an exhaust expander in his tool chest. So he let me have it for the day :cheers:

Exhaust is taken care of, just have to bolt the 340 manifolds on.

This baby is going to be ready about 4th of July...baring any unforseen problems.

Its freaking cool outside today. So I decided to fire up the chainsaw and clean our back area out so more. Darn bee stun my hand. Forgot all about those stinkers by our fence. Isn't too bad at all, Maybe the stinger didn't break in my skin. Had my head turn and felt it and seen the bee flying away. Hurt bad at first but like 20 mins later was pretty good. 2 hours now and wow...maybe my luck is changing, lol

That 340 will be so different compared to the 318. Save $ for bigger tires.

I'm not so sure. My 318 was rebuilt with just stock pistons but had a custom 220 @ .050 cam. It was running pretty well with these MP 360 heads I am re-using. Like 6,500 rpms was my shift light set at.

So all I really have more is 1, maybe 1 1/2 point in compression and 23 more CI. Oh and a big larger cam--Crane 226-230 @ .050 and a tci (i know) 10 inch Street Fighter T.C..

Should be able to hit 7,000 rpms daily--yet likely I won't push it to 6,000 rpms this season.....(what am I'm say-ha ha, it see 7,500 once this summer, lol)

-
Back