One turn, two turn, quarter turn, half turn... (Valve adjustment)

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
OK, so, now that I have had to build a total different backwards turning 360 for my boat... (long rant, wanna hear it?) CORRECTLY, I am using the adjustable rockers that came on it. The cam is used, and the lifters are used, cam is mild, less than 400 lift, stock springs. NORMALLY, I like to go a 1/2 turn past the plunger being extended, but this is in a boat, and you have to pull the exhaust manifolds off the get the valve covers off, in a hole.... SOoooooooosoooooooooooooo

I never want to adjust them again, what would you guys run them at?

Pop quiz, what happens when you run a block with the back main 60thou south of the rest??? (like, .060 out of line) Yes virginia, with standard bearings on a .020 crank, I guess it IS possible....)

1/2 turn will be just fine, you really want to have no less then .020", & no more then .060".

Don't you just love marine engines, everything runs backwards and costs three times as much. What kind of manifolds are you running? Iv'e never had a problem pulling valve covers off other then getting to the middle bolt along the bottom. If your not running a solid cam and the heads or block havn't been milled just run some non adjustable rockers.

My 5.7 chebby runs forwards. Usually, the only time a marine engine runs reverse, is if you have 2 engines. One cw, one CC, to stop the torque. Only dealt with 318's on that. ***** to adjust rockers, until you get it in your head; turn crank CC.

Unless you have dual engines; I don't think it runs backwards. If you have 2; 1 will. As for as the risers; pull the riser- 4 bolts. And, a 360 came adjustable rockers? 318? What boat is this?

With that small cam I can't see why 1/2 turn isn't sufficient but it wouldn't hurt to go 3/4 turn just to be safe since it's hard to access.

!/2 turn it is. The manifolds are just the big square chrysler ones, canr get to the outer valve cover bolts with them on.'

And yes, it turns backwards, and is single engine. In the old days, Chris craft, and uniflite did that, when the wheel was on the port side. Chris Craft, even mixed it up, and ran two normal engines, one drove the transmission off of the balancer.

There is supposed to be some logical reason why they run backwards on a single screw, I just never heard one.....

Putting the pistons in, was a heart attack every piston, stagger ring gaps, heart attack, install piston, heart attack, not to mention rods go 2-1-4-3-6-5-8-7 now because I didn't want to have them all pressed and put on backards, ergh, it's been fun.

Not to mention it was a 4700 dollar machine shop built motor, with around a hundred hours on it.

it was a 360, with a major line bore issue, TRW forged pistons, one had chewed up a valve at some point. It had mismatch 318 heads, and the head gaskets were RTV'd on.

Tellin ya, some dumb SOB built this one.

-
Back