Only the right brake light works!

-

Signet 200

Reaction score
I have a 63 Valiant that only has the right break light working, I have replaced all of the bulbs left & right, put in a new turn signal flasher. Both left & right turn signals work fine. I'm just not getting 12V to the left break light. Where do I need to check next?

Big Thanks!! Jeff

I would check the ground on that side, since it works with the turn signal that means it is using the ground from the front.

not always. i had this happen to me too except for my problem was in the turn switch it self. there are 4 prongs that activate the lights. mine was just not making a good contact making only one side turn on.

The ground on the front turn signal? It seems like it might be a ground thing so the break light/ turn signal housing needs to be touching a good metal ground or are we talking about something under the dash?

wiggle the turn signal switch back and fourth till it work's then dissasemble and clean and re lube

So I guess I need to pull the steering wheel? If thats the case what type of puller will I need & would this be a good time to install a new turn signal canceler?

Thanks Jeff

you can use a steering wheel puller, (maybe a harmonic balancer puller) or sometimes you can loosen the nut and hold a ball peen hammer on the end of the shaft, pull the wheel towards you with your knees (feet on dash or something) and hit the ball peen hammer with another small one. My dad gets them off like this all the time, I end up screwing something up and getting out the harmonic balancer puller.

Cool I have a harmonic balancer puller! Thanks looks like I have some work to do, this is the last thing I need to do to get her on the road I've been working on her since July.

Jeff

When you get it apart there are two lil' plastic blocks with metal contacts on them..........they are specific to where they go so look carefully at them and draw a diagram or something or mark them with a sharpie ( they are underneath the turn signal cancel cam)

That's kewl !!! Same thing My Pop's showed me when I got my first car !!!Just remember to loosen the nut till it is level with the end of the steering shaft, two reasons.....one so it dont come flyin off and bust ya in the teeth and two so it dont damage the threads on the steering shaft
you can use a steering wheel puller, (maybe a harmonic balancer puller) or sometimes you can loosen the nut and hold a ball peen hammer on the end of the shaft, pull the wheel towards you with your knees (feet on dash or something) and hit the ball peen hammer with another small one. My dad gets them off like this all the time, I end up screwing something up and getting out the harmonic balancer puller.

Put a star washer under the ground wire so it will make a good ground. I fixed a 51 and 38 chevy by doing that simple fix.
HKeller

Thanks for all of the good reply's I have never pulled a steering wheel before kind of funny since I've been messing with cars since I was 14. As soon as my coffee kicks in I'm on it!

Thanks! Jeff

Thanks every one for there help it's defiantly was the turn signal switch in the steering, I cleaned it up the best I could but it was still having a hard time making a good connection on red wire which was the left break light so I used a larger washer to hold the contacts on the turn signal assemble better, so for now both break lights work, but I'll still need to hunt down a turn signal assembly that is not so worn out.

Cheers! And thanks again!

Jeff

ebay is a great place for turn signal assemblies. I know on mine i had to replace the cam lock on the turn signal and had to just bent one of those 4 metal rods to make my brake light work.

For now the break lights are working as long as you make sure that the turn signal lever is in the middle position E-Bag has one for $350.00 a bit steep for me & I can't tell if it's old new stock or just used, I bought a side view mirror on E-bay last month the chrome was great but when you close the door the thing moves out of adjustment making it pretty much useless I've lost a bit of money on this rebuild do to fatly parts or just the wrong product. That's why I like this sight there is a core of individuals that give you real helpful answers with out the pursuit of greed!

Big thanks!

Jeff

Ok kewl bean's......sounds like you figured out them two lil' blocks
For now the break lights are working as long as you make sure that the turn signal lever is in the middle position E-Bag has one for $350.00 a bit steep for me & I can't tell if it's old new stock or just used, I bought a side view mirror on E-bay last month the chrome was great but when you close the door the thing moves out of adjustment making it pretty much useless I've lost a bit of money on this rebuild do to fatly parts or just the wrong product. That's why I like this sight there is a core of individuals that give you real helpful answers with out the pursuit of greed!

Big thanks!

Jeff

Can't believe it I found a parts car down in San Diego the turn signal switch seems to be in better shape then mine only $15.00 I'll plug it in first to see how it works before I pull the wires through the steering column.

Cheers Jeff

Jeff, When you took your turn signal apart did you remove the cam from the other half and phisically see the contacts? Where did you put the bigger washer?

-
Back