oops, whats that light about?

-

mikess68

Reaction score
72 swinger. just redid the dash. im sure i hooked up all the items correct but here is the strange thing. (it was not doing this before)
when i turn on the lights, the left turn signal indicator light comes on also. the dash lights work etc. the way they are supose to, the dome switch etc. all ok. just have the signal light on also. is this something simple i overlooked like something grounding out behind the panel or any gusses???

DSCN3821.JPG

Is the turn signal indicator light coming on at it's normal brightness or is it dimmer than when you actually have the turn signal on?

If it's dimmer than normal there is a good chance you are getting feed back from one of your park/tail lights. Usually caused by a bad ground in one of the bulb sockets. Make sure all 4, 1157 light bulb sockets are getting a good ground. What happens is when you turn on the lights, the socket that isn't getting a good ground feeds back thru the turn signal circuit and lights the indicator light that does have a good ground.

the lights, signal and head and tails are all off the car. i just hooked up the batt and turned on the dash lights to see if working. the signal is bright, solid, not blinking. the dash lights are normal and the light/dark turn of the switch will dim them, but has no effect on the signal light. it does seem brighter than normal when the signal lights blinks. just 2 weeks ago when i started on the dash, the signal light was working normal and blinking just like it was on the road. (even thought all the lights are in a box for 6 months) ???

Well, you say all headlights and park/tail lights are all off the car and have been for 6 months, but just 2 weeks ago you tried the dash and the turnsignals blinked? Usually a flasher (turn / 4 way flashers) won't even blink unless it has a load of two bulbs to make it blink. I'm not quite sure how they worked two weeks ago? I still think you have a feed back/ no ground problem!

the wiring harnes with the side markers bulbs is still on car, do they blink like signal lights? , well, ... i guess ill have to check some more tomm. too tired to reason tonight. im open for any ideas. i don't know how some would work and some not, so i think i hooked everthing up right. tks for the help, ill test a little more after work tomm and see what i can find out.

the wiring harnes with the side markers bulbs is still on car, do they blink like signal lights? , well, ... i guess ill have to check some more tomm. too tired to reason tonight. im open for any ideas. i don't know how some would work and some not, so i think i hooked everthing up right. tks for the help, ill test a little more after work tomm and see what i can find out.

I have all 69's so no side marker lights on them. Truthfully I can't remember if the years with lighted side marker lights also have turnsignals in them or not. I kind of thought they didn't. Maybe a good night sleep & fresh mind will help!

-
Back