Open car trailer vs enclosed

Flat bed vs enclosed hauler

• Total voters
-
As far as a mower, I would buy a small farm tractor, with a 3 pt hitch and a finish mower.
The farm tractor will get used alot, I bought one with a bucket on the front, just to pick stuff up, I am not getting any younger.

Depending on how the front yard is landscaped, just a push mower, or small rider.

Other shop is not insulated but much larger… I’m going to insulate it and install a lift or 2 somehow, the roof beams are kind of low.

Congratulations. Before you insulate or wire it or do anything else I might recommend you just have a truss company engineer about 2-3, 4 at the most, scissor trusses and then install them where you want the lift(s) to be. Now is the time to do it when the shop is bare and empty.. you would simply install the scissor trusses in succession by sistering them right next to the trusses that are in place now and then cut out the old trusses once the new ones are installed and secured..
this will give you the clearance you need and ability to retain a lower ceiling height in the rest of the shop to help reduce heating costs in the colder months.. (if your going to finish the ceiling with drywall of similar)

IMG_4536.jpeg

My open trailer, my 3rd or fourth after how many decades? the frame braces are so old and thin they won't hold the floor screws any longer. I guess I needs a tread plare floor!!! and a guy offered me $1500 for it other day! I bet a new one is $3000!
A decent new open trailer on the west coast is $6k. I certainly wouldn't take twice what I paid for mine 30 years ago. Maybe not even 3x.

Doc will be spending his summers mowing and gardening and the winters plowing snow.

A decent new open trailer on the west coast is $6k. I certainly wouldn't take twice what I paid for mine 30 years ago. Maybe not even 3x.
They are 4.5K new here.

I paid 2K for mine in 2016.

Don't ever use pallets for anything.
They get recycled over and over, one month they maybe stacked with boxes, the next month loaded down with 55 gal chemical drums, the next time sitting at a fertilizer plant.
They are covered with chemicals, I will not even touch them, unless I have gloves on my hands.
I worked at a good manufacturer, so I got virgin pallets that had flour on them, the only way to go. Used pallets are disgusting.

As far as a mower, I would buy a small farm tractor, with a 3 pt hitch and a finish mower.
The farm tractor will get used alot, I bought one with a bucket on the front, just to pick stuff up, I am not getting any younger.

Depending on how the front yard is landscaped, just a push mower, or small rider.

Yeah push mower will take months… to get the yard done… here are some photos I just snapped. I’m taking out all the big fencing from around the back yard so it is much more open for the kids and dogs.

Under all of the trees there is grass. The field gets hayed by a local farmer.

IMG_4181.jpeg

IMG_4182.jpeg

IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

Yeah push mower will take months… to get the yard done… here are some photos I just snapped. I’m taking out all the big fencing from around the back yard so it is much more open for the kids and dogs.

Under all of the trees there is grass. The field gets hayed by a local farmer.

View attachment 1716123390

View attachment 1716123391

View attachment 1716123392

View attachment 1716123393

View attachment 1716123394

View attachment 1716123395
That's an awesome spread. Any thoughts about getting goats or other livestock?

Don't ever use pallets for anything.
They get recycled over and over, one month they maybe stacked with boxes, the next month loaded down with 55 gal chemical drums, the next time sitting at a fertilizer plant.
They are covered with chemicals, I will not even touch them, unless I have gloves on my hands.

Lol I made a fence out of pallets at my rental house 2 years ago. The fence has been fantastic!

That's an awesome spread. Any thoughts about getting goats or other livestock?

Thanks! It’s 20 total acres and about 3-4 that need mowed around the house? Where the pond is I want to buy that property as well, there is about 20 more acres, the guy isn’t ready to sell yet.

As far as livestock yes, we will probably get a couple cows. Just enough to where it’s not a “hobby” and we can write the cows, trailers, tractors and other stuff off on our taxes lol.

IMG_4150.png

IMG_4013.jpeg

Are you sure about that? Is that a different requirement than what's in the truck and bus rule? As far as I know, that sunsets with 2010 model year engines,
No, I'm not sure. That's what I was told. But do you really think california will make it easier to keep your old truck or bus?

Thanks! It’s 20 total acres and about 3-4 that need mowed around the house? Where the pond is I want to buy that property as well, there is about 20 more acres, the guy isn’t ready to sell yet.

As far as livestock yes, we will probably get a couple cows. Just enough to where it’s not a “hobby” and we can write the cows, trailers, tractors and other stuff off on our taxes lol.

View attachment 1716123408

View attachment 1716123409
Planning on buying miniature highlands? They’re pricey but dang if they ain’t adorable!! We’ve only got 4 acres where we live now (down from 165 at our last place) and I’m not about to mow it all every week, so we plan to fence 2-3 acres of it and buy 2 miniature highlands. That’s a real nice property you got there, and if you can add that other 20 acres, you’ll have about the perfect farmette! I’m slightly jealous!

No, I'm not sure. That's what I was told. But do you really think california will make it easier to keep your old truck or bus?
Not sure. I just know the rule you were referring to currently ends with 2010 MY engines.

I use a 60" zero turn to cut about same amount of yard in about 2 hours or less

I bought a new Cub Cadet ZT 50 last year after my Yazoo didn't want to start. I love the Cub Cadet it's fast but the Finish cut sucks. The Yazoo with a 61 inch deck 22 horsepower front mount cuts the lawn like a carpet. And the nice thing is I can get up under the bushes with it. Using the Cub Cadet zero turn I have to finish up with a weed wacker where I didn't have to with the front mount Yazoo.
I did buy a Kubota l245dt 4x4 diesel mini tractor with a frontend loader the other day and I now have my 6-ft Bush Hog on it. Have not tried it out yet. Got it for mowing the pastures. I have 20 acres.
One of the handiest pieces of equipment you can get for the farm is a skid steer. It is equal to having 10 people help you. I'm going to convert my bush hog to a front mount hydraulic powered mower for my case 1845c.

Last edited:
I use Husqvarna which I have had good luck with but if you decide to go with zero turn buy a commercial mower from a dealer instead from
big box store.Joe

I use Husqvarna which I have had good luck with but if you decide to go with zero turn buy a commercial mower from a dealer instead from
big box store.Joe
Yes get a welded deck not a stamped Steel. Ferris makes one of the best Zero Turns in America.

You have firewood. Bad fence for cattle. Cattle eat grass, then you eat the cattle. Check out raising high end Boer goats for FFA projects. Good ones bring $$. Put wife in charge of goats. No one buys anything but a Z Turn to mow lawns now days. Yep get a loader with the tractor. Used fork lift is handy.
I can be hired as butler, and wife will be the maid. We work cheap.

View attachment 1716123408

View attachment 1716123409
I would look into a little bigger tractor than the "B" series, I ended up buying a "L" series, not much more money, for alot more tractor.

I forgot to mention, nice place.
Those trees will make a nice wind-break, and lots of privacy.

-
Back