Open trailer car shipping protection

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I will be towing the car 500 miles. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to protect my freshly painted car. :prayer:

You don't want any cover rubbing against the paint for 500 miles.

Just put the car on a trailer, strap it down and tow it.

No car cover. Already heard about flapping and blown off etc. What about Painters tape?

I can't talk from experience but I have seen other threads that said you are much better off without a cover. Apparently even a tied down cover will flap at highway speed and literally beat the paint to death.

Sorry, not beating a dead horse...just very slow at the keyboard.

Do not cover the car. You'll rub the paint clean to the metal in places in under 500 miles. Seen it too many times in the trans biz. A good washing is all it will need. You should try to fashion a rock guard for the front.
Windoes are a concern if you cant block rocks.

Ththe car is going to see way more than 500 miles of travel in its lifetime with no cover, why would it need to wear one on the trailer??

A couple coats of polish would be the best way to protect it. Not wax, but a glaze, and that is if the paint has been "baked"in a booth.

Ththe car is going to see way more than 500 miles of travel in its lifetime with no cover, why would it need to wear one on the trailer??

Truth, but I rather it happen on my watch then while being towed. I will just cover certain spots with painters tape

Being in the towing and transport industry, do not put a cover on it, and do put a good coat of a glaze/wax on it, as mentioned prior. As for the windshield. I personally have taped moving blankets on them to protect them. Then again, theres always "bubble wrap"....LOL

Being in the towing and transport industry, do not put a cover on it, and do put a good coat of a glaze/wax on it, as mentioned prior. As for the windshield. I personally have taped moving blankets on them to protect them. Then again, theres always "bubble wrap"....LOL
Car was just painted last month, IDK if I want to wax it right now. I will just use painter tape haha

You could always wrap the leading edges and glass with vinyl or just wrap the whole car in vinyl. That works for the new cars being transported across half of the world.

Regarding the windshield while towing; A friend of min always loads his car on his trailer backwards. According to him, the rear window lays over at more of an angle than the windshield ( he has a 70 Duster), and the rear of the car is much easier to clean the the grill is. Giving that some thought, it actually made sense. lol

He's now looking for an open trailer that has a higher front shield on it. Perhaps one with a tool box and tire rack.

Build a chip guard on the front of the trailer. Your tow vehicle is the worst enemy of the car your towing.

Attachments

• hemi2[1].jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 129
-
Back