Opening Cast Aluminum Valve Covers for PVC Grommet

-
Mine were already out when I got them. But because they are cast I would recommend using a hole saw. Or using the largest drill bit you have and then using a diegrinder to enlarge it. I don't like the idea of striking the plug to knock it out, it being cast aluminum.

I didn't like the idea of hitting the plug with a hammer either so I used a hole saw the size of the knockout. But...... the grommet woud not fit so I had to take a little off at a time with a dremel tool and a round file until the grommet would slide through. The whole process took me maybe 20 minutes. Works fine though, no leaks. I also installed the baffles that MP sells which helps prevent leaks.

I had the very same question on the set that I got for my 383. I was worried about the whole hammer issue too but I called them and asked them about it. They said that it was prescored and would not take much effort at all to get the hole cleared. so I took a big punch and reluctantly tapped on the end of it and it just popped out. I did have to enlarge the hole too to get the grommet to set in there correctly though.

-
Back