Opinion on 8 1/4 rear axles

-

440BelII

Reaction score
I'm working on a '69 Dart project. The car was a slant 6 car and has the 7 1/4 rear axle.I was going to install a 8 3/4 axle in it. I also have access to a 8 1/4 axle out of a Diplomat police car that has a Sure Grip. This car will see the street and maybe a run at the local strip every once in a great while. What do you think,should I use the 8 1/4 that I can have for $50.00 , or go for a 8 3/4 axle and spend more money?Do these axles hold up ok or am I wasting time to install it?

The 8 1/4 unit is plenty tough. They were used in many different cars and trucks including D-100 trucks and some B series vans.
The Diplomat axle may be too wide to fit the Dart unless you switch to some wheels with a different offset. The spring perches will certainly need to be moved. The Dart has 43" center to center spring pads.

The 8 1/4 will be fine for street/light strip duty. The dippy rear is about 3" wider and the perches will have to be moved, but it will fit as long as you use skinny wheels and tires or wheels with a lot of backspace.

Guy I am helpin at the transmission shop has a Demon race only car. Has an 8 3/4 in it now but he has plenty of pics of it snatchin the front tires in the air when it had the 8 1/4. It didn't brake. He upgraded when he put a stronger motor in it.

-
Back