opinion on stock heads

-

blk00rt

Reaction score
I have a failry stock 360 motor with a ld48 intake, headers and ignition system on it, I just recently purchased a eddie cam the bigger one of the two. I know it wont work with stock springs so would I be better off waiting until I can afford eddie heads to go with the cam or change out the springs on the stock heads and run the cam with stock heads. This is pretty much just a cruiser with a little more poiwer.

No need to go to Eddy heads just cause you got a new cam. Check with the cam manufacture and get the correct springs for the cam and rock it as is!
Thats what I would do anyways...

I have a failry stock 360 motor with a ld48 intake, headers and ignition system on it, I just recently purchased a eddie cam the bigger one of the two. I know it wont work with stock springs so would I be better off waiting until I can afford eddie heads to go with the cam or change out the springs on the stock heads and run the cam with stock heads. This is pretty much just a cruiser with a little more poiwer.

What are the cam specs...?????

Rickster

What are the cam specs...?????

Rickster
Cam StyleHydraulic flat tappetBasic Operating RPM Range1,500-6,500Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift234Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift244Duration at 050 inch Lift234 int./244 exh.Advertised Intake Duration308Advertised Exhaust Duration318Advertised Duration308 int./318 exh.Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.488 in.Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.510 in.Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio0.488 int./0.510 exh.Lobe Separation (degrees)112Computer-Controlled CompatibleNoLifters IncludedYesLifter StyleHydraulic flat tappet

No need to go to Eddy heads just cause you got a new cam. Check with the cam manufacture and get the correct springs for the cam and rock it as is!
Thats what I would do anyways...
eddie lists their recommended springs so I will probably go that route..
thank you

at .510 valve lift on the exhaust on stock heads, you better check retainer to valve- guide clearance and retainer to seal clearance, as its going to be close. on the intake you should be fine though. if it doesnt clear, you will wipe out your cam lobes, plus the exh. seals. check the clearance using a soft spring, compressed air and dial indicator. you need approx. .100 in. between the seal and the retainer at max lift on the exh,so you want .510 +.100=.610 when the valve is closed.you could check the clearance without swapping the cam and/or springs, only the soft spring. if you find out you dont have enough clr , then you need to remove the heads and have them machined to shorten the guides. i believe the edelbrock heads would swallow this much lift without modification, so, if you have to machine the stock heads and planned to use edelbrocks anyway, why not do so ?

at .510 valve lift on the exhaust on stock heads, you better check retainer to valve- guide clearance and retainer to seal clearance, as its going to be close. on the intake you should be fine though. if it doesnt clear, you will wipe out your cam lobes, plus the exh. seals. check the clearance using a soft spring, compressed air and dial indicator. you need approx. .100 in. between the seal and the retainer at max lift on the exh,so you want .510 +.100=.610 when the valve is closed.you could check the clearance without swapping the cam and/or springs, only the soft spring. if you find out you dont have enough clr , then you need to remove the heads and have them machined to shorten the guides. i believe the edelbrock heads would swallow this much lift without modification, so, if you have to machine the stock heads and planned to use edelbrocks anyway, why not do so ?

^^^^^ Good Advice

Rickster

thank you I did not think about that...
I will have to measure it and see.

-
Back