Opinions needed

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Ok gang
So I have this car you see in the pictures...Been pretty went through over the years. BUT is a real 340/4 speed car, V21 code car. Originally silver, V21 hood and a white top. In my opinion def a looker in the day. Ive had the car for almost 18 years and used it for parts for my Dart when i was a teenager. The car was hit hard in the front when I got it. The rad support was sitting about even with the water pump so back then i said just part it out. That was before I knew what things could potentially be worth and the rarity. The floors are rusted out now and the trunk floor was cut out. The rear rails are solid. Now the quarter panels, trunk floor etc do not scare me. What is the populous' thoughts on replacing a complete front clip (rails and inner fenders together) maybe fire wall? Could i replace it all with the floor as well? I have a 74 swinger and access to another Duster I could use as a donor. I just think it would be worth it to save this mopar. And yes, I know it is major work and a LONG winded project. But I have 5 years til I retire from the service and will have a little time. Please let me know gang

Floyd

That's a lot of work but if you have the time, energy and patience to tackle it I say go for it. I wish you the best of luck.
Rod

Wow, that's rough, but a rare car and like you said "a looker in its day" :glasses7:

The parts needed for that car are not too hard to find and still cheap. I would find a complete donor car, then let the fun begin!

Check this out, it absolutely can be done and doesn't look that bad to do a clip swap itself, but oh so much work overall. Really depends on what you're up for.

340 orange swinger resto thread

I think the way he did it would be best, leave the firewall and floors in place and swap the rails all the way back with inner fenders attached.

Check this out, it absolutely can be done and doesn't look that bad to do a clip swap itself, but oh so much work overall. Really depends on what you're up for.

340 orange swinger resto thread

I think the way he did it would be best, leave the firewall and floors in place and swap the rails all the way back with inner fenders attached.

WOW! That is a great resto thread. That gives me great hope for that car. seems like i need to just blast the areas i want to keep, add new metal to the back and work my way forward. That way the back is solid and in place the front clip would slide right in...

You will have way more in the car then it will ever be worth!

You will have way more in the car then it will ever be worth!

I agree .. If it has sentimental value , go for it .. If not I would just part it .. I am going to be restoring my dad's old 1963 polara 4 door that needs everything and yes it is definitely a money loser but it is the sentimental value that makes it

Way more than it's worth? We drive Mopars. We are born to suffer. I have a nice Dart Sport that I have easily $15K more into than I could sell it for. I didn't do it for an investment. I did it for fun, speed, and a love of Mopar. I say go for it.

I guess it's not really about the end price or what it will be worth. It is more about bringing a lost one back to life, something that no one ever sees, a V21 duster. Everyone seems very supportive in such a large undertaking

I say fix it, that's a really sweet color combo.

Well, I sorta think you would be crazy to do it!! But that's just me. Personally I would find a nicer, rust free car and build a clone of the "V21" with all the amenities you have described. You would likely be many dollars ahead, with much less time and effort involved in the project. (As if any build isn't already a major undertaking!)

Whatever you decide, good luck with whatever you feel comfortable doing! BTW, I am not against you restoring your Duster, I'm sure you have some emotional atatchment to it, and you may want to proceed because of that!

I appreciate everyone's input. I like the idea of building the car from the ground up. I guess when spring hits ill brace some things and blast it. See what I am working with

-
Back