Opinions on MSD Ignitions

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have a moderately modified 340 (about 375 hp) in a 69 Barracuda with a 4 speed and 3.55 gears. I currently have a 20 year old Mopar Performance electronic ignition setup in it. It runs OK, but am I leaving something on the table. I am thinking about buying an MSD setup: 8545 mechanical advance Pro Billet Distributor, 6200 6AL Ignition box, 8202 coil and 32749 plug wires. I like the idea of multiple sparks up to 2500 RPM. Buy I have heard a few negative comments about MSD systems. I assume they are just nay-sayers. Is there anybody out there who can give me some feedback on an entire MSD system?

the only problem I had with msd is the advance springs will rust and break after some time . I got my complete system in 97 and its still goin strong today .

Are you getting misfiring? Fouling plugs? If no, I don't know that you'd gain really anything to justify spending $500+ on an ignition.

Mainly I'm really unsure why you'd feel the need for the distributor. Once you have a curve set in the distributor, it doesn't really matter what it is so long as it's tight and you can keep a quality cap/rotor on it.

What makes you think you're leaving something on the table?

I have the 6AL, 8207 Blaster Coil, MSD wires, 8534 mechanical dizzy, and no complaints.

If getting a msd distributor, I'd be thinking about an E-Curve myself. You can change total advance, advance curves and rpm that the curve starts and finishes at with a turn of a dial. No more pulling springs and changing weights. I really wish I had gone that route.

Been running complete MSD systems on 2 cars not 1 single issue to speak of..well worth the money spent..

the only problem I had with msd is the advance springs will rust and break after some time . I got my complete system in 97 and its still goin strong today .

I run the hei springs in my msd pro billet, they are a little heavier and seem to last longer. They slow the curve down just a bit, but I still get 36 degrees at 3k rpm fully advanced. On the older msd caps that don't have the built in vent drilling a couple very small holes in the back side about 3/4 of the way up helps the condensation issue.

MSG ignition ? Is that some sort of new Chinese ignition ? :D

I'm with jimjimjimmy. I have had a 8534 dizzy, 6AL, Blaster 2 coil and 8.5 wires for 9 years. Not a problem except for the rusted springs. I don't have that problem now as I have locked the dizzy out.

Jack

I have all MSD except the distributor which is a ProForm with the FBO limiter plate, not one complaint.

Jeff

Me and a couple of buddies have ran them a lot in the past with hardly any issues. In fact the only times I can think any of us had a problem was one buddy that bought a E-curve distributor about 2 yrs. ago. Unfortunately it was for a car he was restoring and he didn't get the engine in until a couple months ago and the distributor was defective and way out of warranty. He was able to send it in and get it repaired for $112 total (with shipping both ways), but that's $112 he should not had to have spent. Oh yeah one other buddy had to replace his MSD6AL that he installed in 1986. That's pretty good service I'd say

As far as you leaving something on the table. I doubt you'd see much of an improvement at WOT unless yours isn't keeping up now. The multi sparks at lower rpm can smooth out the idle a little and help a little with fuel mileage and plug fouling. If you drive it much on the street losing vacuum advance is a detractor IMO. Vacuum advance helps fuel mileage and plug fouling so really you'd just be trading it for multi spark which I doubt will be any benefit. If I were replacing the distributor on a street car I'd go with one that has vacuum advance.

If you are running your car on the street, you need to get one with a vacuum advance as well. Other than that, the MSD is a good product. Overkill in a lot of situations, IMO, but there's nothing wrong with that.

MRL performance used FBO control module on his 500" dyno test and made 15 HP more than msd6. FBO cheaper too. I,ve used FBO box and worked well. Recently switched to rev-n-nator for built in rev limiter.

MRL performance used FBO control module on his 500" dyno test and made 15 HP more than msd6. FBO cheaper too. I have used FBO box and worked well. Recently switched to rev-n-nator for built in rev limiter.

I got a 6al and a two step MSD for x-mas. (#1 wife!) I'll be putting it on my mostly drag car. Mostly for the rev limiters and not expecting more proformance, just more consistency.

Years ago I had an msd 6a and it used to shut off when hot. That was 25 years ago. I currently have an msd 7AL on my race car. It has more capability than I need. It has not gone any faster with the msd. I did run into a problem as it is finicky about battery voltage. I had to add an alternator onto the car to make it run clean. Street car this is not an issue. It has features such as start retard and I can set it up to retard timing if I ever run nitrous. For my basic slow set up benefits are minimal. I running a factory style electronic distributor fired by an msd blaster coil.

Years ago I had an msd 6a and it used to shut off when hot. That was 25 years ago. I currently have an msd 7AL on my race car. It has more capability than I need. It has not gone any faster with the msd. I did run into a problem as it is finicky about battery voltage. I had to add an alternator onto the car to make it run clean. Street car this is not an issue. It has features such as start retard and I can set it up to retard timing if I ever run nitrous. For my basic slow set up benefits are minimal. I running a factory style electronic distributor fired by an msd blaster coil.

I`ve used MSD on everything I`ve ever built. the only one I ever had a problem w/ was a used one I bought second hand. sent it to MSD in texas, cost me 19 bucks to fix, and that included freight ! ( a few yrs. back !)

Everyone loves MSD. I think they SUCK. We lost 3 6AL's in one season. IMO there is NO NEED for add on boxes on street cars. It seems MSD is sensitive to low voltage as well as too much voltage. We use Petronix in our street cars, no ballast and 45k volt coil with vacuum advance. High compression motors need more spark to keep the fire lit at high rpm so our race motors use Mopar performance ignitor.

Going on 7 seasons with my MSD system..if you need proof the stuff is good go to the track under the hood of just about every car racing you'll find MSD products..including the big guys in NHRA...by the way you want to run mopar/fiat bring LOTS of spare parts:D:D:D

I'm very happy with my MSD setup. When I installed it, it started, and idled much better than the Mopar ignition. The 6A box was given to me by a friend. It's so old, it has the original graphics on top, and was converted to a rev limiter by MSD. I do have condensation in the distributor. Pulled it apart after about 10 years, cleaned everything, and it runs great. Changed the cap and rotor once also.

-
Back