Opinions on purchase?

-

Charlie Noonan

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing this 68 Dart 2dr sedan for a race project. Plans are for a , 400 stroker, 600-650hp, 727, Dana spool. 10 pt. cage, frame tied, engine plate, lightened as much as possible- strictly race. Anyway, somewhat concerned about the frame condition as shown (drivers side).I've spoken with Dave at AutoRust about their frame caps and he assured me all would be fine. I'm concerned about the torque placed on the frame. I've restored a 69 SBee with new quarters, floor pans, truck pans/extensions so rust does not bother me EXCEPT as it relates to frame/torque issues at race speeds. Price is right, rest of body good. What do you think?

snowoman 021.jpg

I would not touch that rusty of a car with a 10 foot pole.....but thats just MY honest opinion.

You East Coast guys have a pretty hard time finding solid cars huh?

That kind of rust, in the front, wouldn't be too good for a racer. For a driver, now, that is a different story. I fully restored a 1960 Rambler and had to junk the car when the unibody went 'south'--that broke my heart. ....and that was a daily driver. Yup! The Northeast is not kind to us that collect and love cars.

I would not touch that rusty of a car with a 10 foot pole.....but thats just MY honest opinion.

Not if we don't mind a sight unseen purchase and a $2,000+ shipping fee!

If you have done all that work before, It can be repaired. Replace old rusty metal with new metal......

If the price is right do it............after all you are not building a concourse nut/bolt restoration, you are building a race car! Once the rail is replaced, cage-subframe tied.....it will be fine

I say cut out the entire bottom of the car and put a full chassis under it. You can go with a four link on the rear and struts on the front with a rack and pinion. If you can do the welding yourself the cost won't be too bad. A fair amount of work but the car will be much stronger and far better for racing. I have a 65 barracuda that I'm cosidering doing the same thing to, it is a parts car otherwise. My other 65 will be a street car.

I say cut out the entire bottom of the car and put a full chassis under it. You can go with a four link on the rear and struts on the front with a rack and pinion. If you can do the welding yourself the cost won't be too bad. A fair amount of work but the car will be much stronger and far better for racing. I have a 65 barracuda that I'm cosidering doing the same thing to, it is a parts car otherwise. My other 65 will be a street car.

This will be a weekend warrior in New England for our 7 month race season so
a complete chassis rework is not in the picture. Hope for high 9- mid 10 sec runs if possible.

-
Back