Opinions on the Nitto NT555R

-

DakotaDuster

"I'm all in."
Reaction score
When I ditch my tiny 7 1/4 I will put some sort of drag radial under the car. I was looking at tires and the NT555R is considerably cheaper then the other 275/60/15s... But is it cheaper because it's inferior in traction and/or durability? Anybody have any experience with them? Any info would be appreciated.

They wear quick, have been known to be slippery on wet roads( most D.R.'s,in general in my experience..) That said,& done: Had a set on a well prepped chassis 5.0 mustang. I really had no problems(14 second ride,stockish..) ,in weather.. (JMO..)

The nittos may have a slight disadvantage in traction but they last longer than any other drag radial .
I have 5000 miles on a set with a few nice burnout's and still at 50%.they are 325\50\15. They are a great choice for a mostly street driven car I will be using them again .

The nittos may have a slight disadvantage in traction but they last longer than any other drag radial .
I have 5000 miles on a set with a few nice burnout's and still at 50%.they are 325\50\15. They are a great choice for a mostly street driven car I will be using them again .

Agree... I have them on my very low 12 second street car. You should expect 10 to 15k out of them. They hook great my car does a 1.66 60' with it's 4,400 stall.

I have a set of 245/45/17's on a car that goes 13.2 @104, hooks well as long as you heat em up good. I have also heard they last longer than other DR's as stated... Not to mention they actually have a mileage rating/warranty unlike all others...

I run Nitto 555's on both my Mopars. They are the only drag radial tires out there with a speed rating on them, 186mph, if memory serves. Both cars are street driven 99.9% of the time. Only had them in the rain a few times, but the cars drove and handled normally. When it rains, both cars have to been driven with due care with any type of tire on them.

The '68 A-body has the 275/60-15's on it, it handles great and hooks up very well. That car has just under 500 hp, a 2.67 to 1 1st gear and 391 rear gears.

The '70 E-body has the 325/50-15's on it. The Nitto's actually make the car safe to drive on the street. It has just over 700hp, a 5-speed and 3.73 rear end gears. With regular street tires on it, the car felt like I was driving on snow covered roads. Before the Nitto's, it would just annialate street tires and the car would drift sideways at 70mph on the freeway. While it was fun, spinning the tires gets you sideways with slower acceleration. The Nitto's hook that car up enough that it will only spin the tires in 1st gear, and rarely spin in 2nd. It just hooks, and they last!

PS: as with any tire, I use the recommended rim size and use chalk to determine what air pressure I run in them.(scrub a chalk line across the tread and drive a few tire rotations to make sure I have full tread contact across the entire tread)

Both cars attain full contact with 18 psi in them. It helps with ride quality, traction and wear.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 490
  • B3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 490
  • Cuda 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 495
I have them on my car...........
500+ HP & TQ, stock rear suspension other than SS leafs..... Quick punch on the gas to heat them up then car hook's hard on the street. No need to roast them and burn them off for a full minute like I see some guys doing, they are pretty soft compound. I used them for almost 2 full summers now with many smoke shows and they still have lots of life in them.
IMO they are the great for the price, but shop around cause I found the price jumps from place to place. I just found the cheapest place I could find (ebay) then did a price match at Summit :)

I have them on my car...........
500+ HP & TQ, stock rear suspension other than SS leafs..... Quick punch on the gas to heat them up then car hook's hard on the street. No need to roast them and burn them off for a full minute like I see some guys doing, they are pretty soft compound. I used them for almost 2 full summers now with many smoke shows and they still have lots of life in them.
IMO they are the great for the price, but shop around cause I found the price jumps from place to place. I just found the cheapest place I could find (ebay) then did a price match at Summit :)

What size tire and rim are you running?

Get some current generation tire like the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R instead. Ask yourself why you are upgrading to newer tire tech in the first place. Might as well go all the way.

Get some current generation tire like the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R instead. Ask yourself why you are upgrading to newer tire tech in the first place. Might as well go all the way.

Guess he would need some 18" rims to get something wide in that tire.

Thanks for all the info guys. I wouldn't be driving the car in any sort of bad weather.... and any distance I do drive it I'd be able to get it home before rain hits. The car will have SS springs, and 3.91 gears when I swap out for a 8 3/4 rear. Though power won't be a real issue for me. At least not anytime soon lol. Yeah I wanted to ask about them because Jegs(the only place I looked so far) had them for at least $40 less then other DRs.

As for the Advan, in just a brief search I didn't find many places that sell it but tire rack only listed one size for a 15" wheel...cane the prices looked to be way over the normal DRs.

Guess he would need some 18" rims to get something wide in that tire.

Depends on the sizes and how they flesh out on a rim. But yes, 17" is the standard for decent tire technology these days in meaningful sizes, no doubt.

Don't be shy, you should be able to drive it whenever, regardless of weather. Really they don't make a decent tire in 15" anymore, it's sad, but that's how it goes.

PoisonDart74 said:
Don't be shy, you should be able to drive it whenever, regardless of weather. Really they don't make a decent tire in 15" anymore, it's sad, but that's how it goes.

I need new windshield and window seals before I can drive it in the wet stuff. I bought it that way this spring. One thing at a time. :D

I like the nittos. I have the other nitto dr on my duster. nt05? 275 40 17. right now I'm putting a wider tire on and this time I just went with the 555. I think the drag radials are awesome. if you drive like a nut in the rain yeah they will get slippery. but ive driven a lot on them, and recently got stuck on a road trip on the highway in heavy rain. they did fine.

Had the 555r on my Challenger.. Went 10.98 @ 122mph full tank of 93 octane, fold up chairs in the back with the a/c on. Car has a 6 spd so they still shook in first and second been then hooked.. Car with me in weighs 4400lbs. Car is in my signature.. Nothing like 26mpg with cold a/c cc and sat radio... And can still run with a Super Street class car in the 1/4.

I run Nitto 555's on both my Mopars. They are the only drag radial tires out there with a speed rating on them, 186mph, if memory serves. Both cars are street driven 99.9% of the time. Only had them in the rain a few times, but the cars drove and handled normally. When it rains, both cars have to been driven with due care with any type of tire on them.

The '68 A-body has the 275/60-15's on it, it handles great and hooks up very well. That car has just under 500 hp, a 2.67 to 1 1st gear and 391 rear gears.

The '70 E-body has the 325/50-15's on it. The Nitto's actually make the car safe to drive on the street. It has just over 700hp, a 5-speed and 3.73 rear end gears. With regular street tires on it, the car felt like I was driving on snow covered roads. Before the Nitto's, it would just annialate street tires and the car would drift sideways at 70mph on the freeway. While it was fun, spinning the tires gets you sideways with slower acceleration. The Nitto's hook that car up enough that it will only spin the tires in 1st gear, and rarely spin in 2nd. It just hooks, and they last!

PS: as with any tire, I use the recommended rim size and use chalk to determine what air pressure I run in them.(scrub a chalk line across the tread and drive a few tire rotations to make sure I have full tread contact across the entire tread)

Both cars attain full contact with 18 psi in them. It helps with ride quality, traction and wear.

Great info and they look great!

What are you running on the front of your A Body?

-
Back