Opinions on this cam

-

Kernel Sanders

eating chicken wings and drinking beer
Reaction score
Ok I know next to nothing about cams and grinds... and I dont know what most of the numbers mean except maybe duration lol

As part of a parts package I bought last year this never before installed cam with hydrolic lifters was included all intact in original packaging.

I'd like to get an opinion from y'all about this big block cam;

I ask as I do currently have a 383 in my Charger and I have a spare complete 383 that I want to eventually freshen up to possibly go into it but was just going to use the stock cam but I have this one too.

PHOT0009.JPG

PHOT0007.JPG

PHOT0008.JPG

That'd be a nice upgrade from the stock cam. Not too wild so it'd work good with even low compression engines and shouldn't require a stall converter although you could run one if you wanted. I'd use it over a stock cam.

Won't make max power but will last a nice long time. Those grinds were easy on the valve train and Crane Cams is history (or are they back in business now that they filed bankruptcy-I can't keep up with all this)

That cam will make more power than stock but idle great and have good all around power. Unless you are looking to spin the motor pass 6000 rpms...like running 4.10 gears in back..it be fine to use...still be fine with 4.10 gears but it be holding the motor back.

Those cams like 9 to 1 compression.

I think you'll find that the Crane is a pretty basic cam for the 383 you've got. As an example the 335 HP, 1969 and 1970 383 factory installed cam was .455/.470 lift. Mind you those engines were also 10 to 1 comp (probably closer to 9.5). JMO

Terry

Well thank you very much! Definately good news as I was not looking to do anything extreme when I do eventually freshen up the spare 383. Just want a healthy running engine.

Again thank you

-
Back