Opinions Please.....

-
I happen to think smartphones are not "great power". I wonder how many millennials know what the phrase "World Book" means? Not many, I bet.

Sorry, but I completely disagree that internet and smart phone technology is a good thing.

Let me give this example. You have a man whose been a mechanic for forty plus years. Suddenly, the whole world has access to what he has spent a lifetime learning. A LIFETIME.

That's a lifetime waking up and going to work every day. For forty plus years. A lifetime of putting up with the boss's bullshit. For forty plus years. A lifetime of pulling other peoples' weight at work, in the REAL world. For forty plus years. A lifetime of probably being paid less then he's worth. For forty plus years.

Suddenly, the internet appears with all the same information he's spent a lifetime of learning over forty plus years available to everyone on the planet. For scott free and without all of the trouble he had to go through to get the experience.

What say you about that? "Too bad"? I bet so. While the forty year experience mechanic has "real" experience, now he has to be nullified buy all of the now "experts" the internet has created overnight....all at his expense.

Nice, huh?
Well that goes both ways that same person has access to information he or she didn't have before in areas they have little knowledge of, that they can now obtain.
That and there is a world of difference in getting information and having the brains to comprehend it and the ability to use it.

Just this simple, kids that misbehave, blame it on their PARENTS.... If those parents do not know better, blame it on THEIR parents!!!!

Maybe because I was raised in the South, and more than once my Dad handled situations where people were spoiling the event for everyone else...

Last year I went to see Arlo Guthrie, in an old opera house. I had a great seat in the balcony. But some ignorant, middle-aged people, around the side of the balcony, closer to the stage, decided to record the concert, and whatever they were using had a bright screen, very distracting. The elderly, volunteer usher lady asked them to put it away...but before long they were at it again. I was steaming. During intermission, in the lobby I saw they were selling DVD's of the concert (it was near the end of the tour.) I bought one and went up to the group, and very nicely (with the volunteer behind me) said, "I have a gift for you. This is the exact same concert we are watching. Because I guess you don't realize, not only is it against the house policy, but the bright light y'all have there while you are recording the concert, is very distracting to the rest of us up here. So now you won't need to record the concert, will you?" One of the ladies sputtered and started to get a little indignant, "we'll stop, you don't have give us a DVD!" I said, "oh, but I want you to have it. Besides, you don't want the band to come down South and think we don't know how to act, do you? Y'all enjoy the rest of the concert." So at least the second half of concert, everyone could get the experience they paid for. Sometimes it helps to get creative in dealing with people.

My parents used to discipline me with a camera...

I still have flash backs....

-
Back