opinions wanted please

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
Im going to carlisle next weekend and plan on picking up some mufflers. I want 3" mufflers along with 3" going right out the back. My issue is will this be fine with my sb 360 for now. I plan on doing the motor next year but until then it will be stock. I got a set of hedman headers on there right now but im worried if i go as big as 3" then i wont have enough backpressure! Just looking for advice fellas Id appreciate it.

Im going to carlisle next weekend and plan on picking up some mufflers. I want 3" mufflers along with 3" going right out the back. My issue is will this be fine with my sb 360 for now. I plan on doing the motor next year but until then it will be stock. I got a set of hedman headers on there right now but im worried if i go as big as 3" then i wont have enough backpressure! Just looking for advice fellas Id appreciate it.
Buy the 3" mufflers and do the install when you get the 360 done. At least then you'll have them on hand.

Personally I wouldn't go 3" for anything other than a BB souped to the gunnels. 2 1/2" would be a better choice not only for backpressure but also for easier installation and routing especially around the rear and leafs.

Terry

if i go smaller than a 3" now would that hinder my 360 when i turn around and build it up a little?

You really don't need 3" on any non-stroked 360 build. Well... Maybe if you did some freak show super high end build... But for a normal 360 build 2.5" will do just fine.

I read somewhere on the net that DUAL 2" exhaust will support 400hp.
DUAL 2.5" will support 600hp.
And DUAL 3" will support over 750hp with little restriction.

I personally know guys who push over 1000whp through a single stalk of 4" on turbo 4 cylinders.

Use accordingly.

Back Pressure is overrated. I ran a open headered 360 street car for over a year with no problems, other than noise violations.

IMO, I would do the 3" system now, but I work on a budget and like to spend my money ONCE.

Personally I wouldn't go 3" for anything other than a BB souped to the gunnels. 2 1/2" would be a better choice not only for backpressure but also for easier installation and routing especially around the rear and leafs.

Terry

I agree, 2.5" should be fine for a 360.

I Would Have To Agree With 'prine' Do It Now And Be Done ,wont Hurt A Thing....i Would Put A Cross-over Tube For Better Equalization For Spent Gasses.........

Saw a chassis dyno test on this sibject, on a 400 flywheel hp sbc, the 3" pipes picked up mid-range torque, were louder. So I guess it depends on what you want...

-
Back