Opinon on used trucks

-
I drive a 97 f150 with about 140k miles...4.6L and it has been a great truck. Bought it with about 90k miles. I would buy another Ford. My wife drives a 99 Crown Vic with the 4.6L...it has almost 160K on it....yes I would buy another Crown Vic...or a Town Car.

I bet you wouldn't buy a 4.6 ford truck around here. there really comman part to go bad.... get this the manifolds rust completly out#-o:vom: so bad so that junkyards can't keep them in stock!

also the 2000 and 2001 toyota tacoma's have a recall on them for the frame rotting out!!

Do what you think is a good choice i don't like either one of your choices,i'll stick with my 1998 ram 3500 quad cummins dually as my daily driver 157000 miles minor problems in the 11 years i have had it, 22 miles round trip every day [15 mpg]. Can't afford a new vehicle and i'll never own another gasoline truck.

It was a 95 but I had a toyota v6 that came apart at 92k, replaced timing belt about 70k like they want you to but that didnt keep the knock in the bottom from happening or the heads from being junk, I spent more money on that engine than any Mopar I've ever built!!

Yea,bamadart. Yours could have just been a bad lemon.being in the bodyshop biz, I've seen too many yotas with well over 200 k on the clock and still ticking. Also I despise phord more than most but I worked on a 99 f150 lariat with the 4.6 . Truck was looked like it had about 75k miles going based onhow well kept it was. Well I get in it to pull around to the technician and it had 485000 MILES!!!! COULDN'T BELIEVE IT . DAKOTA OR TACOMA???

My bro had 91' dak with a 3.9, best vehicle he has owned yet. only repair he ever did was a power steering tube, it had over 300 000 klicks.

I bet you wouldn't buy a 4.6 ford truck around here. there really comman part to go bad.... get this the manifolds rust completly out#-o:vom: so bad so that junkyards can't keep them in stock!

also the 2000 and 2001 toyota tacoma's have a recall on them for the frame rotting out!!

It's really not about the manifolds rusting, though I've seen it happen. It's more about the manifold studs breaking and allowing the manifold to warp. Studs need to be replaced, new gaskets, and new manifolds. Get's pricey. As common as this happens it doesn't surprise me that the salvage yards are empty of manifolds for 'em. But good luck to those using used ones. If they can get 'em to seal properly good for them.

Ain't nothing like having your head shoved into the fender well of a V10 powered F450 two wheel drive trying to drill the center studs out of the head to replace 'em. With no lift in the shop big enough to pick the f***er. The nose sitting on jack stands. Sitting on a creeper stool all hunched up to see around the spring tower. Did I mention what a fun job this is?

But I've replaced a bunch of 'em on older Magnum powered Dodges, too. And even older GM pick ups.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Toyota pick ups. Not a big seller in my area. I've only worked on one Nissan, the bigger one, whatever that is. (Even less of a seller than the Toyota.) It had clogged cats. The front cats are part of the exhaust manifolds and DOI. Got pricey. It was actually cheaper to replace the manifolds with stainless headers and weld on a set of new universal three ways.

I'm driving a 2001 Dakota Club Cab with a 3.9 5spd and over 163K on the clock. This is my daily driver and I love it. I bought it new after owning a std cab Dakota.
At first I kinda wished I had gotten the 5.2 because of resale value, but now, I'm happy with 3.9. My wife's Liberty has the 3.7 and that thing is a "f"ing dog. The few 4.7's I've driven seemed OK. Not as impressed as I was with the 5.2's but they were fair.
I guess it comes down to what you're planing on doing with the truck. What I like about my Dakota is that while it's a pick up, I don't get asked to help move anything. I just say that my truck is to small. It's big enough to pull a small trailer. In short, I like my Dakota. I don't know enough about the Toyota's to give you a decent opinion. Anything that I would have to say would just be second hand.

My 2 cents: 4.7 stay away like the plague. 2 engine replacements in 1 1/2 years for two customers. Then the one rebuilt one has head gasket issues. Just a BAD design. 5.9 dodges- great engines! I have a Tundra with a 4.7- I tow my 20ft car trailer with no problems- it's just now startting a lifter tick when really cold but at 188k and driving it like a 1 ton- i have no complaints. I was a mopar only type of guy but, I go for what's reliable, and easy on the wallet. If I get some deeper pockets- yeah, I'd spring for a Hemi pickup- but for now my $ on a used cheap Toyota- PS stay away from V6 Nissan trucks- too many misfire issues- (IE- EGR ports plugged and eating distributors)
Only telling you this cause this is the stuff that I work on on a daily basis. Good luck on your search!

Also nasty69 my Toyota was the old 3.0 v6, I think the newer ones are better, I know of several folks that had to do head work on the 3.0s, I love Dodge trucks as much as the next but around here trans seems to be the problem on the trucks in the 90s to earlt 2000s

Face it, there is one thing that is sure when it comes to motor vehicles. All of the manufacturers produce poor performing vehicles, from time to time.
Most of the vehicles mass produced by the auto makers work and serve us well, however there are some that just don't fulfill their life expectancy. They aren't "Lemons", their are just vehicles that for some reason, either from their manufacture or from misuse, or poor maintenance, or whatever, do not make for a good used vehicle, and might not have been a good new vehicle.

I just had a bout with a 2012 Durango. Nearly a $50K truck, and I ended up returning it to the dealer with less than 500 miles on it. That doesn't make Durangos Lemons. It makes THAT ONE a lemon, though.

When buying ANY vehicle you are subject to getting a bad one, though the chances of that happening are far greater when buying used, than new. The old adage "Buyer beware" is most important when you're buying a used vehicle. Especially if there are few or no records of it's care by the previous owner.

Check EVERYTHING. Get all of the information you can, and READ IT. Ask questions, and never buy something sight unseen, unless you're looking for a project car, and the vehicle's issue (within reason) aren't a concern for you.

If you are buying a used vehicle as a daily driver. It's up to you to do the research, ask the questions, test drive the vehicle, and argue the price based on your findings.
Brand doesn't matter. You have just a good a chance of getting a bad Mopar as you do getting a bad anything else.
If the vehicle was a good vehicle from the factory, and was well maintained, and not abused by it's previous owner, there is no reason why you shouldn't expect to get good service from it, too.
On the other hand, If the vehicle was trouble prone from the factory, or was not well maintained by previous owners, or was misused or abused, there is a high probability that you will pay the price for that, and again, brand doesn't matter.

If you feel comfortable with a Toyota, then that's what you should have. Simply put, if you buy anything else, and you end up having trouble with it, you will be second guessing that purchase for as long as you own that vehicle, and longer.

Do what you are most comfortable with.

-
Back