Orginal 71 Plum Crazy 340 4 speed

-

WayneShelton

Reaction score
I know there have been numerous messages regarding the production numbers of various models, manly those with 340s and various color choices and manual versus auto. Currently I am, working on the 71 Duster. It is an H code 340 per the vin tag ( but the fender tag is missing from the previous owner) and from every aspect as I disassemble the car it is a true Plum Crazy car with 4 speed and ralley gauges.

The question is there any known numbers as to how many these were actually produced.

A 71 340 Duster would have Rallye gauges regardless... not special, part of the package.

Well, there’s a break down by percentage for the high impact paint

1971 duster 340: plum crazy=3.6% , hemi orange=13.6% , lemon twist=1.8% , green go=6.5% , citron yella=6.7% , bahama yellow=5.0%

Total production looks like this

1971 Duster
Fastback Coupe: 173,592
340 Fastback Coupe: 12,886
Total 1971 Dusters: 186,478

So, that would mean approximately 464 plum crazy 1971 340 Dusters were built.

But it’s that’s about as close as you can get. Someone may have numbers for 4 speed 340 cars, but, the problem is you can’t apply the paint color percentage to that number. All of the plum crazy cars could have been four speed cars for all we know, or maybe yours was the only one. There’s no separate breakdown, so you can’t come up with a number for plum crazy 340 4 speed cars, just plum crazy 340 cars.

The other thing is, without a fender tag or buildsheet you’re going to take big value hit anyway, as you’ll have a hard time proving the original options the car came with. You should have a partial VIN stamped on the block and transmission though, so that you could prove assuming they match. The plum crazy part you can’t prove without a fender tag or build sheet, all you can do is document what you find as likely being original.

I know there have been numerous messages regarding the production numbers of various models, manly those with 340s and various color choices and manual versus auto. Currently I am, working on the 71 Duster. It is an H code 340 per the vin tag ( but the fender tag is missing from the previous owner) and from every aspect as I disassemble the car it is a true Plum Crazy car with 4 speed and ralley gauges.

The question is there any known numbers as to how many these were actually produced.
Ho about the Chrysler Historical Society? I hear that you could possibly get a build sheet.

Ho about the Chrysler Historical Society? I hear that you could possibly get a build sheet.

Not for a ‘71. I believe the last year you can use that service for is ‘67. Unfortunately, or conveniently, depending on your conspiracy index, the records for the highest value years of the Mopars were lost/destroyed. I’ve heard that they were moved, there was some kind of flood, then a fire, etc. At any rate, you can’t get them from Chrysler Historical.

They also had a different mix formula back then as did other metallic colors. Silver metallic verses gold metallic in the mixing formula. One of the reasons some of the colors looked different between dodge and Plymouth. . Most noticeable in Go-mango verses Vitamin-C. Most repaints were mixed wrong if you didn't know. Got a Plymouth and Ask for Plum Crazy and you will get just that. Plum Crazy for a Dodge not In-violet. Something I noticed when painting these colors years ago. One manufacture used gold the other silver.

There is one on sale in ebay right now with the V24 hood option!

-
Back