Original BB Torque Strap

-

matthon

Reaction score
67 Barracuda, original 383 car. I got a torque strap from Schumacher, but it cannot be used with the BB K frame. The driver side motor mount takes up the space where the strap would mount to the K frame, and I do not see a way to make this strap work.

Has anyone put a torque strap on an original BB car?
I don't care if it is a chain, or something you made, pics would be helpful.

I have the poly mounts from Schumacher, and although they are a great replacement for stock, the passenger mount failed, they replaced it, and I want to prevent this in the future.

you might want to consider what is called a failsafe mount. they are a rubber mount that the steel top and bottom are wrapped around each other, they will never break.

Is it like this?

These are the Schumacher mounts, steel within the poly. The mount did not break, more like the steel moved within the poly. It kept the mount together, making the car drivable, which is how they are designed, but the shift in position of the mount lowered the engine on that side, and it rubbed the steering linkage.

Attachments

• Cross%20Section%20II.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 798
Schmacher used to sell these as an upgrade before he came up with his own poly mount. If I recall he called it a "Magnum Mount". Mine looks just like the A66-73 (pic):

http://www.mitymounts.com/chrysler.htm

Some of the C-Bodies had these from the factory which is kinda cool...

Attachments

• Torque strap cable.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 585
If I put in a solid mount, it would probably be a good idea to do both sides as solid mounts. I'm sure if I replace just one with a solid, the other will go.

I don't have any experience with solid mounts. The tranny mount is not solid, so would that be an issue?

With the current Schumacher motor and tranny mounts the engine does not appear to ever move at all, (I can see it at all times).

I am thinking a cable like the one in the pic above, or something similar might work best.

Attachments

• IMG_2680.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 299
If I put in a solid mount, it would probably be a good idea to do both sides as solid mounts. I'm sure if I replace just one with a solid, the other will go.

I don't have any experience with solid mounts. The tranny mount is not solid, so would that be an issue?

With the current Schumacher motor and tranny mounts the engine does not appear to ever move at all, (I can see it at all times).

I am thinking a cable like the one in the pic above, or something similar might work best.

Ok....lets see some better pics of that mailbox scoop :glasses7:

-
Back