Original floor pans and Por15

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
My original floors are in pretty good shape. There is some surface rust and a few small pinholes under the gas pedal and other places. I want to seal it up to stop the corrosion. Trying to keep this a survivor without replacing any tins. Is Por15 any goid? Also what would be good to fill the small pinholes? Seamsealer or Urethane?

Thanks.

POR-15 is perfect for this task. It dries very hard and will fill tiny pinholes. I did my original floor pans 10 years ago and it's still held up great.

POR-15 is perfect for this task. It dries very hard and will fill tiny pinholes. I did my original floor pans 10 years ago and it's still held up great.
You can also, on the inside, paint with Por, Lay down fiberglass cloth, Paint again with Por. No dry time between coats.

You can also, on the inside, paint with Por, Lay down fiberglass cloth, Paint again with Por. No dry time between coats.
This is exactly what I did to my floorboards in the GTX 20 years ago and they are still as good today as they were then. A little bit of fiberglass cloth to reinforce the thin spots will handle it well. I even repaired a fiberglass canoe that had been split completely down the center of the bow with just POR15 as the resin and fiberglass cloth. Stronger that the regular resin ever would have been.

Here is something you can do for the pin holes:
1. If they are very small, put some tape under the floor where the holes are. That will keep the POR15 from dripping through the holes. Then paint from the top. The paint will harden, and the pin holes will be gone.
2. If the holes are a bit larger, use a bit of fiberglass matt. First, tape on the bottom like in step 1. For each hole, cut a SMALL amount of fiberglass into very small pieces. Paint over the holes and place a small amount of fiberglass in each hole. Press the fiberglass down until it is smooth. DO NOT GET POR 15 ON HANDS OR CLOTHES. It will eventually wear off skin, but it won't come out of clothes. Then paint a second coat. This way the repair will not be noticeable. For worse areas, I agree with the others who say use larger pieces of fiberglass. You might be able to see the fiberglass fibers, but who cares, since it is covered by carpet.

Great replies! Much appreciated, on my way to get some cloth.

If you have never looked for something, you just don't know where to look.
Thanks

-
Back