Original Mopar 223 AM in '64 Dart GT

-

Greg D.

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have the original Mopar 223 AM radio in a '64 Dart GT I just acquired. It wanst connected to power, fuse box or the speaker (although the speaker is there). So there are two wires going to a connector and the two wires for the speaker.

I've looked at a wiring diagram online, but it isn't specific as to where the two leads coming from the connector need to go to. I figure one goes to the fuse box... But what about the other?

Thanks!
Greg

My shop manual is at home, so I can't tell you the colors, but one wire will be switched power (on when the ignition is on acc or run) to power the radio, and the other wire will be on the same circuit as the dash lighting. Both are grounded through the body of the radio.

My shop manual is at home, so I can't tell you the colors, but one wire will be switched power (on when the ignition is on acc or run) to power the radio, and the other wire will be on the same circuit as the dash lighting. Both are grounded through the body of the radio.
Thanks Brummett... I think I have figured it out, your comment sent the right light bulb off in my head. The reason I wasn't seeing the light come on is because I have another problem with dash lights in general (not working). If I connect the illumination wire to direct power, it lights up great... so I know it works.

The radio now works. I cannot tell if the head unit is problematic... or the crummy pep-boys antenna I bought sucks. Time to troubleshoot with a different antenna. Thanks again!

However, to answer my own question for the next guy... The connector from the Mopar 223 has a red and orange lead. From what I have been able to conclude so far:

Orange: Illumination. Connect to the Instrument Panel lead on the Fuse Box.
Red: Radio. Connect to the Radio lead on the Fuse box.

That's working for me so far... but admittedly it isn't perfect yet.

-
Back