original radio for a 65 Cuda

-

65meanFISH

Reaction score
any of you guys have an original radio for a 65 Cuda? I need to know how big the plate is and the size of the display. Does it recess into the dash? I just need to know because Im talking with a guy from RetroSound audio right now about a radio for my Cuda. Thanks.

Subject: RE: radio for a MOPAR
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 11:57:23 -0700

Hello,

It’s really going to be a matter of how large the factory face plate is and/or how large the dial opening is. The first question will be the size of the rectangle around the radio itself, and does it recess into the dash area.

One of our Euro plates may fit this area with a little alteration and save a lot of grief. The other side of that is, if this radio fascia is removable, and the rectangle sits into the dash, one of our mini Euro plates may fit into this area. Again, the idea is to save a lot of work.

If none of that works out, then it’s a matter of either working inside of the face area or replacing the whole nine yards. A few of our bezels have small flanges around the area that would normally fill or protrude through the dash opening. Depending on the dial size, there could be something that will fit over it and in between the knobs that would cover up the cuts made to accept the Model One’s control nose.

Another option would be overlay one of the universal face plates into the face area of the factory face plate and then cut the face to fit the nose of the Model One.

Depending on the dial opening size, an Apache radio could be mounted behind it. You would need to use the remote for most of the higher functions. You would also need to either fabricate new factory looking push buttons, or dismantle the old radio and fix them into place.

That’s pretty much all of the options involving our equipment. After that, it’s either hiding a radio some where else in the vehicle and leaving the stock one in place for show, or having the stock radio refurbished.

Regards,

Chris Peterson
------------------------------------------------------
that's what Chris from Retrosound told me, any way you guys can help me out here if possible?

Ok since no one else commented I will give you what I know. I don't have measurements but if you want an original radio I have one. The problem is the way it mounts I think you will have issues. The square is very small and flush with the dash the way the radio mounts is it goes in from the back comes through the dash and then the plate goes on a nut goes on to each of the dials and then the knobs. The plate is used as a weight disperser. Hope this helps and I am sorry I don't have better information.

As a side note to order a radio the beast way to determine fit is to measure from inside of one dial to outside of the other then measure the size of the hole for the dial and divide by 2 and subtract that from each of the dial to dial measurements. That will tell you the center to center of each dial. From there the plate can be any size. Also be sure to measure the center square area to tell you the size of the display.

Ok since no one else commented I will give you what I know. I don't have measurements but if you want an original radio I have one. The problem is the way it mounts I think you will have issues. The square is very small and flush with the dash the way the radio mounts is it goes in from the back comes through the dash and then the plate goes on a nut goes on to each of the dials and then the knobs. The plate is used as a weight disperser. Hope this helps and I am sorry I don't have better information.

As a side note to order a radio the beast way to determine fit is to measure from inside of one dial to outside of the other then measure the size of the hole for the dial and divide by 2 and subtract that from each of the dial to dial measurements. That will tell you the center to center of each dial. From there the plate can be any size. Also be sure to measure the center square area to tell you the size of the display.
Thanks a bunch! But can you measure yours for me? :D

-
Back