Ospho????

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
at suggestins in here, trying some of this phosphate acid derived stuff. I read directions and even contacted the co for more info ( waste of time). I tried it as directed, dried overnight, I did spot washed with water and not, lightly run scotch brite where it dried leaving some of the white phospahate power, I will use epoxy primer on next spot.
the first couple spots I used just an oil based equipment single stage enamel.; good adhesion, but places where it wrinkled. just wondering for those that have used it what their experience has been. this car had some serious surface rust and pitting, that's why I used it. some might just say sand down and use self etch primer.

I use it a lot on small items that I can soak. It works very well removing rust. I've never used it on a large panel though.

what did you use for paint or primer over and it the results. years ago I used an acid etch by DuPont, worked well for me but stupid expensive for a rather small amount. just wondering....

My small parts, I usually just hit them with some rustoleum engine enamel satin black. Sometimes I'd give it a dusting of duplicolor etch primer before hand.

I put ospho in the drip rails of my Coronet prior to painting the roof, because I didn't feel like digging out and replacing the seam sealer.

I figured it was a temporary job anyway, to keep it from getting any worse.

5 years later and no issues, or signs of anything unusual.

I wiped my whole car down with it. Only bought one bottle, quart sized and still have some left. Used an epoxy primer. I let it dry overnight, then scuffed it with a green scotchbrite pad. No problem with wrinkling or adhesion. Had a guy I used to work with, a professional painter for Boeing at one time recommend it. Reason I wiped the whole car down, I took it down to bare metal, wanted to see where the problems were. Seems that there were some black spots in the metal. Found out later that was the beginning of corrosion, so I lucked out and did the right thing without realizing it. Car has yet to have any rust showing through what I have on the car yet, and it's been something like three or four years so far? Oh, and it don't really remove rust, it converts it to iron phosphate.

Ospho will work over large panels. Depending on brand you need to get the original stuff not a knock off brand. But even for some minor surface rust it could take a couple of times of treatment and better off to sand it off with 80 or 180 grit instead of scotch brite.

its the real ospho, I got a trunk lid and hood with surface rust, the hood was actually pitted, I ""ed it down to bare metal, applied the ospho, let dry overnight, ran scotch brite over it ,, aand some I used water to neutralize it?? , other place not, used a "rusteolum" type oil base enamel, it stuck good but wrinkled, I will try some epoxy over another spot next. just wondering what luck people have had with it. i' sure it did good job kill;ing the rust, just want to find proper primer for it.
I used the rusteolum type enamel because right now, just trying to get rid of any rust areas,and protect it where I got rid of the surface rust.... already did the patch panels.

I'm working on the front and rear extension pieces right now to try to get good appearance with my process. I used rustoleum rattle can AUTO primer and topcoat, it was not compatible with my other stuff. See, I sanded it down with 500 grit, then applied a Wanda brand single component paint, well it ended up working like a top grade paint stripper......... Took the paint off in a few spots down to bare metal...... Back to the drawing board. Thing is I did not use Ospho on those parts cause its plastic and pot metal. So compatibility is a big thing to watch out for.

Best stuff I have found is Corotech Rust Arrestor V180. Get it a good paint store or industrial supply. Waring it is expensive! 60-70 a gallon. It can be sprayed and doesn't have to be washed off.

-
Back