Outside mirror

-

ptbill

Reaction score
Did Plymouth offer a right outside mirror for a 1965 Barracuda?
Thanks Bill

The same manual sideview mirrors optional for the driver's side could just as easily be installed on the passenger side. The most common one was a 2-post item, part № 2299 574, that looks like this:
mirror062lr.jpg

Less common was the larger police/taxi manual sideview mirror, part № 2292 194 (plain) or 2292 195 (tinted "nonglare"), also installable on either side, that looks like this:
2292194.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If you're asking whether there was a passenger-side counterpart to the driver-side remote-control sideview mirror offered in '65, the answer is yes. It was a "reach out the window and move the glass" manual-adjust item with the same design as the driver-side "leave the window closed and move the knob on the door" remote unit. Part № 2525 938, superseded by not-quite-identical 2809 933 (which has the outboard housing extending rearward to provide more shading to the mirror):
mirror067lrcombo.jpg

Note the '65 driver-side remote mirror is not the same as the '64 or '66-'76 driver-side remote mirror. They'll all fit in place of one another, but the styling is different. '64 mirrors also listed in the '65 FPC have a ridge/lip around the circumference of the housing that's not present on later mirrors, '65 mirrors have outer housing sidewalls that reduce in diameter from front to rear, and '66-up mirrors have straight-back outer housing sidewalls, same diameter from front to back.

Thanks. I have a remote on my driver side and was thinking of putting a manual on the passenger side. Don't like looking over there and not being able to see what's there

Thanks. I have a remote on my driver side and was thinking of putting a manual on the passenger side. Don't like looking over there and not being able to see what's there

None of the mirrors listed here will help you much. They all have flat glass, which gives an all-but-uselessly small field of view from your perch in the driving seat. You can put a peel-and-stick round convex mirror over the flat glass, but then you swing all the way over to the opposite problem: everything in the mirror is too small to see from the driver's side. There are mirror specialty places sprinkled around the world that could probably cut you a round piece of mirror glass that's convex, but just slightly convex (like current-day factory passenger side mirrors) not super-duper convex like the peel-and-stick ones.

It's a big damn shame this American invention from six years ago never got commercialized. A couple discs of that kind of mirror glass would go great in the mirrors on either/both side(s) of our cars.

-
Back