Overhead clutch spring removal

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Okay guys, I know somebody out there is using the diaphram type pressure plate that requires that the overhead clutch spring be removed. I`m open to all suggestions in removing this thing. Help!

I used a three foot pry-bar. Took about 30 minutes of patience to finally get the positioning worked out. I had it close so many times.

Longgone said:
Okay guys, I know somebody out there is using the finger type pressure plate that requires that the overhead clutch spring be removed. I`m open to all suggestions in removing this thing. Help!

The overspring is removed for the diaphragm PP's, not the finger type.

pntastar69 said:
The overspring is removed for the diaphragm PP's, not the finger type.
I`m sorry ,you`re right I used the wrong terminology. I have the diaphram type and need advice for getting that monster spring off.

Well I had the best luck removing mine by loosening the bracket that bolts to the firewall first. I had to remove the clutch push rod and get that out of the way too. Once I had the brace fully loose, then I could manipulate the pin at the pedal end enough to get the spring to go over center and come off. I thought it was going to go flying off and kill my next born, but actually with a little bit of "careful" prying, it came off the pin and then the rest was easy. The key for me was to loosen that brace all the way first. There may be a better way to do it, but that worked for me and I'm still alive to tell about it:)

Thank you 416stroker, that`s what I did. I removed the bolt in front holding the bracket. It gave me just enough slack that I could get a flat prybar on the end of the spring and whack it with a BMFH. With that it practically fell out. Thanks for the tip.

Glad to be of help! That's what we're all here for! This is a great site for learning how to do those things that back in the day, everybody was asking themselves.."how do they do that at the factory" or I wonder how in the "blank" am I going to do this!

Good Luck!

The one person no effort way is too use a pop rod to jam the clutch pedal down.Then insert 3/16 spacers in the coils and hold them in place with some tap.remove the pop rod from the pedal and the spring falls out.mrmopartech

Mrmopartech said:
The one person no effort way is too use a pop rod to jam the clutch pedal down.Then insert 3/16 spacers in the coils and hold them in place with some tap.remove the pop rod from the pedal and the spring falls out.mrmopartech
Good one Scott, that`s a winner!

Longgone said:
Good one Scott, that`s a winner!
Glad I don't have the diaphram type longgone. That takes a load off.

i use a center force,,,diaphram pressure plate,,,stil have the spring,, i have heard it makes a hyd bearing respond quicker with out the spring,,,

Keisler says the spring can hold the pedal down and cause unusual fluctuations when you release the clutch. Hey, I`m all into removing anything on the car that will serve no purpose. Between the clutch fork/pivot, torque shaft,and spring I`d say I shaved another 10lbs off the car.

daves66valiant said:
Glad I don't have the diaphram type longgone. That takes a load off.
I was pretty well off until I told Gene what was in the car. That`s when the upgrades started and the budget was out the window.

WELL maybe ill remove it,,when i get to that car,,working on my street rod,,,cuda down this season,,,investagating the 5 speed thing,,,and waiting to see what keislier comes up with for a hyd bearing,,,now that they arent using the MC cleod bearing

why didn't I think of that mrmopartech!!! I have been pondering this problem for a year ! I was ready to don all my hockey gear (especially my cup!!!) and my MX helmet for fear of what was going to happen when the damn thing did come off.

Thanks ,You may have saved my sex life !!

-
Back