Overheating during cam break in - help

-
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. Fantastic advice from you all. Using all your suggestions, we got her going last night with the stat out, advanced the timing and she ran great. Got the cam break in done NO PROBLEM! The IR gun was awesome - a new toy - and she never got over 185-190. After the break in, we worked on the idle a little bit and backed the timing off to 10* BTC and she seems to be running pretty good. Got so excited (this project has been going on for 2 years, during most of which the motor and tranny have been out of the car) that we took it for a spin around the neighborhood - without front fenders, lights, hood, trunk, etc.!!! Got some leaks that we need to chase down some leaks this weekend (I think main culprits are cheap valve covers and the oil pressure sending unit). She goes to paint shop Monday, and we're hoping to finish her up and get her finished and insured/inspected/etc. in the next couple of weeks

Question for AJ/FormS: what exactly did you mean about the damper? I don't understand why the timing mark lining up means that I need to junk it.

Thanks again to you all.

coolant low could be a head gasket, I mean where would it go if it didnt puke it out? popping could mean a valve is getting hung up or more likely you got a wire crossed, check 5-7. itll run decent at 2-3K on a crossed plug wire but wont idle for ****. Running hot could also be running lean. Are your floats set up correctly? Should just dribble out sight plugs when running (terrible way to check but thats the way). And take that Holley replacement carb! New is always better than defective. Hard to set idle when breaking in but you should be at about 34 BTDC at 2500, and then just let it return to wherever at idle. Get a timing light: beg-borrow-steal, then give back....

keep in mind the intake transfer also, I have seen where the gasket slips ant the coolant basically leaks down into the lifter valley. Should be easy enough to tell, the oil will be milky and overfull, same with head gasket. Unless its going out exhaust. Also keep in mind "burping" the cooling system, if you didn't top it off after the thermostat opened. usually if you watch for it, the coolant level will rise until the thermostat opens, then it 'sucks" down in the radiator, then you have to top off. Basically an air pocket is what it is. UPDATE: Good to hear you've got it figured out.

-
Back