Overheating headache

-
I've seen blocks and heads just back from the machine shop with rust falling from the water passages. Unless you radiator is brand new, it's dirtier than you think. Try flushing the system with Thermocure. My 383 AC car had issues from the first owner adding Barr's Leak. I ran the Thermocure in it for 4 days and flushed, flushed, then distilled water for a day and refilled with coolant. All better.

THERMOCURE™ - Cooling System Rust Remover & Flush | EVAPO-RUST®

Did you say your initial timing was at TDC or 0°? If so, advance it and your engine will thank you and run much better. Did you test your t-stat to see if it's opening at the correct temp?

It overheated the same but lower temps. I replaced the radiator and added an NOS fan shroud. That was four years ago. I’ve hardly run the car since. These numbers are at least 20 degrees higher. I am going to measure the fan tomorrow, but it is a more stout fan than the original.
When you say tune related that refers to timing? I haven’t checked that. Could headers cause excess temps more than stock exhaust manifolds? I bought this car new, and the timing was always TDC. Will have to address this too. Could headers cause excess temps more than stock exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust?
I have some work to do.
Thanks for your reply.
I live in Tampa Bay and NEVER had an issue with overheating due to headers. A rad w/ some blockages? Ah yeah

-
Back