overnight temperatures for painting.

-

ed mullen

Reaction score
For the last two springs, NJ has refused to warm up in the spring.

I have always followed a guideline of waiting until it is 50 degrees overnight before I start painting w/automotive coatings. (I have no idea where I had heard or read that.)

Last year it was June before that happened.

Losing 2 to 2-1/2 months of project time last year prompted me to question the validity of that guideline.

I found nothing to support it, really.

Most of the labels I have read on the products I use, or plan to use, seem to just give an application temperature range, not a minimum temperature for 'X hours' after.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Especially regarding epoxy and weld-thru primers, as I have a lot of body work/welding lined up for this summer.)

Thank you.

Some pictures of what /where you are working at /on,would help. On the left coast,I have shot single stage enamel in the mid 50 temps. Shop was enclosed, minimal moisture.

I think if you have proper operating temps (reducer and catalyst recommended temp) for your shop during painting and let it sit at proper operating temps for 30 minutes after painting, you can then allow the location to go below freezing if you want.

I have worked in a body shop back in the 90s and it would be 17 degrees outside. We would paint a car in the evening, let it sit in the shop, shut off the heaters and leave. Next morning it would be 25 - 35 degrees in the shop.
Really once the paint and clear sets in place (30 minutes at normal temp), having a cold environment will remove solvents slower which will be good for having a nice flat clear paint job but it will very much prolong the time needed for it to cure.

So you can expect that your paint job may be soft in the morning but just operate with that precaution in mind. Let it sit a couple days if it is very cold in your shop before messing with it.

-
Back