Overpriced Crap Yards

-
I agree with the parts car idea vs...searching junk yards. As I get close on my 64 Dart, I have found a few mid 70's a bodies with disk brakes and large bolt pattern wheels that would be cheaper as whole (trashed) cars than the cost of their parts at swap meets or junk yards.

I really thought about swipping it but I try to be as honest as possible. Thanks for the Half off day tip. Yeah I felt a little nervous toting my tool bag around and having some shady looking aliens slinking around. There were a number of 360 slugs in a few trucks and old Sportsman vans. I'm sure the compression on those were pretty low. I bet they don't go for cheap but on half off day it could be a deal. Scare to think what the Mopar Master Cylinders go for nowadays in the yards.

I had a sim. expeirence.

pulled a 71 dart front bumper with small dents
71 rear bumper with a golf ball size dent
and a 71 dart grille no bezels
Price $195

They charged me for evey tail light, and wanted to charge me for the front
turn signal cover. I told them its not a light you jack *** its a cover. The yards in my area are a rip off, at least the chains are (pick n pull)

But I will have to say i have walked into a few and found almost complete a bodies that were nicer and had less rust than mine.

remind me tp stay away from ya'lls pick a parts.

Went in to one here to find a grill for my 70 ford f100 I used to own and walked away with two fenders, the grill, headlight bezels and some cherry condition grill inserts for $150. a song and a dance really.

then the other pick a part owner is really nice, course i give him alot of business too

I asked what they wanted for a K frame at a pick a part in Texarkana. They wanted me to pull it so they could price it. WTF is that. Oh if you are stupid enough to pull the part it doesn't matter what we charge because you will buy it? :butthead: Sounds like the double buddy sale price. Yeah, we're gonna charge you double...buddy. So let me see....a junk yard that doesn't know what parts they are selling. I told them to walk back and look at it, then give me a price. Oh, sorry sir, we can't do that.

How about when they ask what type of car the part is from? Like I'm going to tell you it came out of a car that only had this one part for one year and it's super rare. Hell No it came out of a buick century or chevrolet corsica. That way I only have to give up a finger instead of two fingers and a kidney.

Hmm..1 grill, 2 turnsignals, 1 complete tailgate, 1 glovebox lid w/lock, 2 marker lights, 1 radiator support w/headlight buckets and all hardware + some stuff I dont remember, $120

Trip to the boneyard, priceless!

Did I get lucky that day? Maybe! I took the day off work and the yard was almost deserted (it was in January). They have a website as well with their inventory and specials http://www.pullnsave.com/ It's a buck to get in and all their prices are posted. If you don't like their prices, you don't pull it. Simple.

Oh yeah, I do keep on eye on my tools when I work and always have a hatchet with me. When I see someone (of any color) getting too close, I grab the hatchet and look 'em straight in the eye. Works every time.

ramcharger said:
Oh yeah, I do keep on eye on my tools when I work and always have a hatchet with me. When I see someone (of any color) getting too close, I grab the hatchet and look 'em straight in the eye. Works every time.

I guess i must look like the intimitating kind but i have never once in all my life had someone steal something of mine. Never in a yard nor anywhere.
But thats what you get when you live on an island where everyone is stoned all the time and are to out of it to steal things.. :thumbup:

I recently have visited a yard in New York, a private affair. I think it's a guys hobby gone wild. Anyhow, about 200 60's Mopars, mostly A and B bodies. I got front small bolt pattern disc spindles with calipers and mint upper A-arms for $75. A complete front frame section, crossmember and all for $75. A-body floor pans, rocker to rocker, rear frame rails to edge of the front pans (no front pans) for $125 and then a pile of little stuff like knobs, air vents, rubber, etc. for $50.

I felt like I was in heaven!

Yeah I bet the White Brick is real happy about it's new digs. :)

I have found up here in canada that in the last couple of years that parts have doubled or even trippled. theres no telling where it will end up at, but u can bet it will only be higher as there is less and less good parts everyday...........kim......

Ya'll should try DVAP (Desert Valley Auto Parts) in Phoenix some time -- they literally have piles of gold in there and prices to match...I'll never go back.

I read this thread and was wondering which is better:

To pay ridiculous prices for what you need...and have it.

Or to WISH you had a source to pay a ridiculous price for a part you need....and can't find.

Recycling yards (isn't that the PC wording for junkyard these days?) out here on Long Island stock nothing older than 10 yrs. MAYBE. Our version of pick-a-part is called mall parking lots... And another thing, you west coast guys need a reality check and need to visit out here and TRY and dismantle a east coast car that's seized together with rust. You'll be more than happy to pay "a little more..." for that rust free part you need, and CAN purchase.

The last time I was in California I saw cars in junkyards in better condition than cars on east coast used car lots.... Count your blessings. And as for the whole non-English speaking immigrant thing, out west you learn Spanish and can get by. In New York you gotta have a God-damn U.N. translator to communicate. Spanish...Hindi....Polish....Russian....Trini... and god-knows-what else that swam over from some sand lot in the ocean.

<rant-off> I need my morning coffee...maybe my mood will improve.

it is sadly, and simply, becomming harder and harder to find parts in yards that do nto price them as if they were gold. I always keep my eeyes open for a good parts car. Though, most people are goign to see the desire in your eyes and price it like gold as well. How many rusted out charger rolling bodies have you seen priced for several grand?

I see everyone's point of view, but nobody is sticking a gun to your head...

"Buy this now or I blow your fargin' head off you white fat bastage!"

If you find what you need, you should buy it, because next year it might cost double that amount or you may not find it at all! That's a good lesson for when you're at Carlisle too!

My big issue was that I could have bought a similar part brand new for the same price or a couple dollars more. I was just upset on the principal alone. Sure certain parts you can't pass up but I had to on this one. I'm sure I will have to get used to higher prices as with everything else in life. But I am going to fight tooth and nail preserve the "thrifty as possible" way of Mopar enthusiasm. Yes, we are lucky here in the West and I'm thankful. Thanks for the head check John.
Dave

I appreciate being able to find parts and cars with relative ease where I am at in this part of our country.

If I am somewhere and find something - I always ask for a price before I pull or have them look to pull. I at times try to negotiate if possible if I know the part is too near a new price or just overpriced. I try not to get angry if I believe they are being unfair. They can charge all they want. That is part of our economy. HOWEVER. I voice my opinion.

I'm always prepared to walk away and I always tell them why if I do.

Mistakes happen. I don't get upset if they try to over charge me. I've been in customer service for a long time now and I try to handle it the way that is right. I point out their mistake and it has always been handled. Sometimes with a discount. If I were to accuse like people I've seen before - employees and owners get defensive and don't give you great service anymore or won't have you around their business. Sometimes they get defensive and won't budge on that overcharge and you still end up over paying if you need it.

Don't get me wrong. I've needed parts before and quick to get back and forth to work and I felt like I was taken advantage of because I didn't have time to shop around. HOWEVER they may not get much business from me or good referrals.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I've gotten smarter in parts finding and I have built a better relationship with yards and parts stores that have netted me better service. AND everyone has a right to pay for whatever price they chose but I have my limits and everyone that has limits should be prepared to walk away.

I think I understand where you're coming from daves66valiant .

I stopped using the junkyards around here about two years ago for this reason. I know a few others have given up as well. Funny how this free market system of ours works. Everyone's free to charge what they want and spend what they want, as khughes alludes to above. Too bad the owner's buisness will become nothing but scrap metal and car crushing before long because they don't understand this simple principle. Maybe that is all they want.

Ace said:
I stopped using the junkyards around here about two years ago for this reason. I know a few others have given up as well. Funny how this free market system of ours works. Everyone's free to charge what they want and spend what they want, as khughes alludes to above. Too bad the owner's buisness will become nothing but scrap metal and car crushing before long because they don't understand this simple principle. Maybe that is all they want.

For my older cars - (for hard to find or if no parts cars to buy) I try to buy loose parts from private sellers because I'd rather they get my money AND help them keep up their own vehicles and/or fund projects. If this puts a few yards out of business - so be it. The ones that are fair and in demand will keep on going unless they get too greedy too.

daves66valiant said:
Thanks for the head check John.
Dave

After I posted I thought to myself that I might have sounded a little too harsh on my west coast pals: Sorry! It's just that there's NOTHING left over here that hasn't rotted into dust. Believe me, NOTHING !

I guess I was spoiled by the good old days when I was a kid helping my dad with his Chevelle and him helping me find stuff for the Valiant in high school. My Dad has good relationships with a few yards and they always ask about the Chevelle. I was back in Oklahoma visiting for Thanksgiving. The weather was nice so my dad and I visited a couple yards. The people were so much more pleasant than out here in the west. I picked up a great deal on a few parts and shot the **** for an hour with the owner. I wish I would have thought further ahead about what I needed for my new brake setup. I could have gotten what I needed much cheaper. Unfortunately, it's pretty damn cold and icy in Oklahoma right now, otherwise my Dad would find the part for me out there.

Good tips on part hunting. Little gems of Experience go a long way in this hobby. I will definetly be asking about price before I waste any time looking or pulling parts. Better to negotiate on a little higher ground. And yes it feels much better dealing with fellow enthusiasts even if it costs a few extra bones.

Hey Ramcharger,
A hatchet..Whaaahahahahaha..LMAO. I set my tool box on the side of a truck at pick a junk once and walked of in a daze thinking about which truck I wanted to pull my part off of. When I realized the was no tool box in my hand I ran back to where I remembered setting it down. Oooops..no tools. I ran all over the area where I had just been when I noticed the only person around standing in front of a truck looking over his shoulder at me. Humm...I wonder who has my tools? :angry4: I went straight to the front gate and waited outside for that guy. Sure enough I walked to the gate and waited for him to walk out. When I walked up to him and said I thought that looked like my tools he gave them to me and said he didn't know who they belonged to. Guess he realized he was fixin' to eat a knuckle sandwitch. :pain10:

Well I have found that the local scrap yard has a few cars there as well. Since he buys and sells scrap metal he might be a little lower on price. I found a 8 3/4 rear out of a complete 65 Belvadere(sp) for $125. If weather warms up I will get it this weekend.
Jeff

gremlin said:
Hey Ramcharger,
A hatchet..Whaaahahahahaha..LMAO. I set my tool box on the side of a truck at pick a junk once and walked of in a daze thinking about which truck I wanted to pull my part off of. When I realized the was no tool box in my hand I ran back to where I remembered setting it down. Oooops..no tools. I ran all over the area where I had just been when I noticed the only person around standing in front of a truck looking over his shoulder at me. Humm...I wonder who has my tools? :angry4: I went straight to the front gate and waited outside for that guy. Sure enough I walked to the gate and waited for him to walk out. When I walked up to him and said I thought that looked like my tools he gave them to me and said he didn't know who they belonged to. Guess he realized he was fixin' to eat a knuckle sandwitch. :pain10:

Hey, whatever works right? The effectiveness of a rusty Estwing is amazing! :axe: LOL! I know what you mean about going into a daze, especially when it seems like everything you need just happens to be at the yard that day. I'm glad you got your tools back from the dirtbag.

Big city yards are tough places, they always have been and always will be. it's not like going to a new Summit outlet store or a trip to Macy's. There's a lot of people there so they can get the kids to school and the wife to work then work 10 hours framing houses or whatever and they're not happy. They're not there enjoying life and working on their new hot rod. It sucks but thats the reality of it.

I used to cruise the yards in Chicago back in the day (that's when I started carrying a hatchet in my tool box) and the yards here are a piece of cake in comparison. As fastback340 said, everything back east has rusted to dust and I feel lucky as hell just to find parts for my truck. No one makes repro parts for '74 Ramchargers. I was able to find front fenders on the net and some rocker panels, but that was it. When it comes down to glove box lids, marker lights and stuff like that, no one makes 'em for any price.

I've never had the good fortune of checking out a small town, family owned yard and if you have, you should feel damn lucky and go there every chance you get. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah the Mom and Pop places are the best especially in the midwest. Good people. They are a dying breed with all the EPA regulations and city councilmen trying to qoute clean the city up by getting rid of as many unsightly yards as possible. It's a bummer.

-
Back