OzzieMozzie's Valiant Charger Project

-
Hey gang ! Here's some pics of the boot (trunk) gutter repairs.
As you can see the original corner piece incorporating the drain pipe was rusted out.
Bootgutter010.jpg

I went to a sheet metal fabrication mob and they told me they couldn't fold up the pieces I needed because the folds were too small, so I made them up myself in the vice.
Bootgutter001.jpg

Bootgutter002.jpg

Bootgutter004.jpg

Bootgutter009.jpg

Bootgutter013.jpg

Bootgutter015.jpg

Bootgutter016.jpg

Bootgutter019.jpg

Man you sure had your work cut out for you!

Any idea how many hours youve put in it so far!!?
Stil didnt say what motor you wanna or going to put in it...

Man you sure had your work cut out for you!

Any idea how many hours youve put in it so far!!?
Stil didnt say what motor you wanna or going to put in it...
All up so far it's taken me about 300 hours, I did say earlier up this page that I'm going for a mild 318/904 combo, you must've missed it in amongst all the pics. lol.

Next I removed the diff and front suspension and crossmember to put it up on the rotisserie only to find more rust in the chassis rail around the steering box area (common problem). So I got it up on the rotisserie and decided before I cut the rust out of the rail that I would weld a support brace either side of the area I was going to remove, just to be sure there was no movement.
Here's some pics.
chassisrail007.jpg

chassisrail008.jpg

chassisrail005.jpg

chassisrail006.jpg

chassisrail010.jpg

Impressive, you got some amazing skills.
Keep up the great work and keep the pics comming.

When I removed the rusty section of rail only one reinforcing gusset was intact, so I had to fabricate new ones out of 3mm plate.
chassisrail012.jpg

chassisrail011.jpg

Here's some pics of the new rail section I also fabricated out of 3mm plate.
chassisrail013.jpg

chassisrail014.jpg

chassisrail015.jpg

Reinforcing gusstets welded in place.
Chassis001.jpg

Rail section welded in place
Chassis003.jpg

Chassis007.jpg

Some more pics of the main reinforcing gusset with the crush tube fitted, prior to fitting the rail.
Morechassisrail001.jpg

Morechassisrail002.jpg

Morechassisrail004.jpg

Morechassisrail003.jpg

Morechassisrail005.jpg

Morechassisrail006.jpg

That's the stage I'm up to at the moment, so now you're all up to date. I've got a mobile sandblasting guy coming around tomorrow to give me a quote to blast the undercarriage, engine bay, front suspension parts, diff and inside the bolt on panels. It won't be getting done until next month so I'll update again then.

All up so far it's taken me about 300 hours, I did say earlier up this page that I'm going for a mild 318/904 combo, you must've missed it in amongst all the pics. lol.

Oh ok cool!

Well i cant wait til its finished!
I wish i had the skills you have.

Instead im goin to have to reach in deep into my pockets
to restory my vj charger :(

I am truly amazed at your perseverance. I've welded a couple of panels in my car, but nothing like this. I enjoyed the pictorial sequence. You will have a very nice car when completed.

-
Back