P/S to M/S

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Planning things for my 66 Dart Gt. I want too change from power steering to manual, cause I plan on using headers.

What all do I have to change on the 66, to acomplish this, on the 66, ???. I have two 67+ standard colums, will one of them work, ???.

Thanks Dave C.

The 66 column is quite a bit smaller in diameter than the 67 and later ones. You will encounter problems with the collar that attaches the column to the bottom of the dash because of the size difference. Also, if memory serves me correctly, the firewall plate is completely different from 66 to 67, and again, because of the tube size difference you can't use the 66, and the 67 won't bolt to the firewall mount. You might be better off to use the shaft from the 67 manual inside your 66 tube, although I haven't personally tried this. Good luck.

product_image.php

easy,
buy the adaptor, to lengthen the shaft.

Swapping from power to manual steering requires you to extend your
column approx. 2". This coupler kit not only takes care of that, but also
eliminates the sloppy OEM coupler block. Simply trim the shaft to fit your particular needs.

Price: $124.00
https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16141&cat=254&page=1

OldVart said:
You might be better off to use the shaft from the 67 manual inside your 66 tube, although I haven't personally tried this. Good luck.

I've done the shaft swap many times, but I was dealing with manual and power columns from the early A's though. Agian, this is what I would do to save money. I wish that I had one laying around so that I could give you a measurement to see if they are different lengths from both manuals from the 66 compared to the 67. To see if it would work or not.

Lee

Thanks for the info Guys.
So from what I gather I will have to change the Steering box then I can use the extension. That seems like the way to go, to eliminate a lot of work and hassle, taking the column apart to changing shafts. Now all I need is a manual box.

Thanks Dave C.

barracudadave67 said:
Thanks for the info Guys.
So from what I gather I will have to change the Steering box then I can use the extension. That seems like the way to go, to eliminate a lot of work and hassle, taking the column apart to changing shafts. Now all I need is a manual box.

Thanks Dave C.

Yes thats the easiest way to go. :)

-
Back