packaging axles for shipping

-

Idaho

Reaction score
I need to ship the axles from my 8.8 diff for shortening.
Anyone got tips for how to package them?
The shop said a wood box is overkill.

If they are stock axles most reputible shops wont do this and there is a reason. However i had a set of moser aftermarket axles i shipped back to them to do this. I used the box they came in. I made darn sure I put protectors over the splines made darn sure they didnt come in contact with each other. I even staggared them with big end to little end on each. IIRC it cost me like $26 to ship via USPS for 2 axles and packaging.

I'd wrap each axle completely in cardboard.

Invert one, tape them together and then wrap the two in another layer of cardboard making the box as square/rect shape as possible.

I'm using Dutchman. They recently moved from Portland to the great state of Idaho :) and they have a great reputation. Thanks for the input.

Thanks Rob.

Get a long box to fit them (duh). Put a piece of wood on the bottom sit one axle in there flange side down splines facing up. maybe cover the splines but there shortening so might not matter. anyway stuff some paper in there but just lightly. Then put the other axle in flange side up. Now stuff more paper in there till everything is really tight. Put a piece of wood on this end too. just make sure your pieces of wood will stay in place while its being tossed around in shipping. Then when you tape the box run loops of tape around it to help strengthen the box. Id run at least 2 loops of tape around each side of the box.

I went with cardboard a couple chunks of 2x4, and the handyman's best friend...

(duct tape of course)

Attachments

• ship axles .jpg
    138 KB · Views: 53
  • ship axles 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 52
  • ship axles 3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 65
-
Back