Paging Dr. FABO: Need help diagnosing a 318 stalling problem

-

Bob67Barracuda

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with a mid-70s 318. It's been a good daily driver for the past year, but has just developed a stalling problem.

What is the typical checklist for this issue?

Some facts about the patient:

318 with a Carter 4-bbl, automatic, headers.

904 torqueflight 3 speed with 8 3/4 rear

Some possible clues:

After stall, the car won't start for an hour or so. Turns over but no fire, like it's flooded.

I burn mostly non-oxy, but sometimes regular 91 octane.

Recently put in a new fuel pump ... and there were no stalling issues for several weeks after this.

I have no clue about the stall converter. I just know this has not been a problem and not much has changed other than the fuel pump.

Thanks, Doc.

I would take the lid off the carb and make sure the floats aren't full of gas and that the needle and seat actually work. If the carb hasn't been rebuilt in a long time it might be your issue. I might just put a kit in the carb quick just for piece of mind.

Is it a stock replacement fuel pump? If the fuel pressure is over about 5.5 psi, the carb won't be able to control the fuel.

I'd start by checking/replacing the ballast resistor, then checking/replacing the coil!! Sounds like it could be either one of them!! Geof

First work on the ignition problem then the fuel issue.Possible problems can be a bad ecu,coil,wiring at the bulkhead connector.if it,s flooding,then you need to open up the carb and reset floats,clean it out and check all internal parts.This new fuel pump is a mechanical or electric?If it,s electric,you need to check the pressure at the carb,could be over powering the needle and seat? Are you getting any vapor lock? mrmopartech 450 424 0445

I had a similar problem a few years back but my car was stalling out while cruising at a steady speed and wouldn't restart for a 30mins. or so. Turned out to be the fuel pump and needle & seat were sticking. Next time you stall, tap down hard on the needle/seat area and then try restarting her.

Has the fuel tank ever been removed and flushed? People take that for granted. These cars are getting close to 50 years old. All kinda crap is in the bottom of the tank for the pickup to suck up and get into the entire fuel system. If it has not been flushed, remove the tank, flush it, disconnect the line at the pump and carburetor and blow it out GOOD. Put a new filter on it and put it back together. Until you get that ruled OUT, you're lost.

Update: Instead of putting in a regulator, we pulled out the Holley fuel pump and put in a less expensive stock pump that puts out less psi. Looks like the problem is mostly solved. Drove the Cuda a bunch of times without an issue, except for one stall. And even then it restarted right away, without the flooding problem.

So now we have a running car and a shiny chrome Holley pump ($100) sitting on the workbench. The Holley goes back in if/when we ever pull the trigger on the '71 340 that our go-to mechanic says he's got waiting "under the bench" for us.

-
Back