Pain in the arse!

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
Maybe I am doing it all wrong or something, but I have been fighting getting the fill tube installed on my fastback. The problem is getting the tank on the neck, or vice versa. I am doing this by myself on the ground. Maybe that's part of the problem. If I have learned anything about this car is that stuff has to be done in order. Especialy the interior and trim. Anyone have any advice on how to make this easier for someone doing it by themselves? Thanks as always!

I used some dishwashing soap around the seal and the tank slide on with no problems, otherwise you'll never get it on, especially if the seal is new.

I used some dishwashing soap around the seal and the tank slide on with no problems, otherwise you'll never get it on, especially if the seal is new.

X2!!! And when it dries it leaves no film, works great on rubber hoses too

If the soap isn't doing the trick, use silicone spray on both the seal and the filler neck. You can also use a mallot on the filler end of the neck with a rag. Just don't hit the quarter panel and you're good to go. If you don't feel comfortable hitting the neck directly, you can also do the same thing with a rag and block of wood as a drift with a hammer. I've found using a mallot works well, though, once the neck is started with spray lubricant.

-
Back