Pain in the Rear

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
I got a '69 Dart GT, with a 273/904 combo. There's a warmed up 360 (.60" over) in the works which poses a problem for the 7 1/4" rear. I'd like to get my hands on 8 3/4", but the one's around here are in the clutches of greedy pigs.

Any suggestions on a rear that would be relatively easy (and cheap) to find and use, also that would be able to handle the motor? I was thinking maybe something from a Dakota pickup, there's a few of those around the yards. Any ideas?
:read2:

THere was a guy who used to post a lot on here and lived in Greer but moved somewhere closer to you a while back. His username was benevolence and I'm trying to remember his name and I'll see if I can track down his number. He was going to sell me a complete 8.25 for around 200 or 250 about a year ago. He usually kept at least 3 or 4 a bodies around at one time and quite a few parts. Let me see what I can find.

I've heard of it but dont know much about them at all, sorry. I'm pretty sure there's some info in the drivetrain forum here.

This is heresy but it works. The old Ford Grenada/Mercury Monarch/Lincoln Versailles used both 8.8 and 9 inch rear ends. Plenty of parts available for those. They also have 4½ inch bolt pattern axles. To make it easier still, the spring pad spacing is the same as for the A-body. The Versailles offers the advantage of a disk brake rear end. (Good luck finding one.) You will need to shorten up a driveshaft for anything bigger than the 7¼. But pssssst! Don't tell anyone I suggested this.

Beware of Benevolence! I will see if I can find the appropriate thread. I think there is a good reason that he hasn't been on the board for the last year or so...
C

b body rears are plentiful,they are 2" wider than a body can fit with diffrent offset wheels,spring perches should be moved 1" wider than a body

Dakota rears are about 6-7" wider than an A-body rear so you'd need rims with allot more backspacing than stock wheels. other than that they're usable. The spring center is the same 43" center and the driveshaft offset if the same. Oh yeah you'd need a 91 or older cause 92-up Dakota's had 6 bolt wheels.

b body rears are plentiful,they are 2" wider than a body can fit with diffrent offset wheels,spring perches should be moved 1" wider than a body

Waggin is exactly right. I used to run a 68 or 9 B-body 8 3/4 in my 75 Dart Sport and I ran a 68 B-body Dana in my 71 Duster. Both worked perfect and a b-body 8 3/4 is a hell of a lot cheaper than an A-body one. Just make sure you get the pre 71 B-body 8 3/4. They are a bit narrower than the 71 and later years.

-
Back